1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA Test

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by PaulB, Jun 1, 2016.

1. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

I am researching a friend's family tree and found a lost cousin for him, my friend's Gt Grandfather is his cousin's Gt Gt Grandfather. My friend and his cousin, well, 2nd cousin once removed want to take a DNA test. Which should they go for? Also the cousin lives in Malta so can it be done at a distance? The line goes through my friend's grandfather's wife's side.

Thanks

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Paul, you haven't said what the aim of the tests is - so it's impossible to give definitive advice - but in 99% of cases this is the best test to take.

By the way, distance is irrelevant - it's all done by post.

3. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

Hi Peter
    My friend is just interested in finding out where 'he comes from'; the other reason is that the relative in Malta is not sure whether his father is the real son of his grandfather (hope that makes sense). Hopefully this test would confirm this and that my friend and him are relatives.

4. peter

Paul, I touched on the issue of ethnicity in this article in my 23rd May newsletter - the chances are that someone taking a DNA test to find out where their ancestors came from will be wasting their money (at best), or seriously misled (at worst). But if your friend has good reason to think that one of his recent ancestors came from outside Europe then he might be one of the exceptions.

DNA tests are, on the other hand, pretty good at determining whether or not two people are close relatives. So it's worth doing the tests anyway - just don't put too much faith in the ethnicity estimates.

5. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

Family historians may well find this xkcd comic strip an amusing take on Peter's point...

6. peter

Here's an article that offers a less amusing, but equally damning, take.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1