1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA no common ancestors

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by SLJ, Aug 6, 2022.

1. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Hello, Need some advise as to what to do next. A family member through marriage has had their DNA results through ancestry, but there are no common ancestors. The first match is an unknown 1st-2nd cousin 695cM 10% shared DNA, with no tree. The next 3 also unknown are 2nd -3rd cousin ranging from 108 -142 cM with a 2% DNA match.
    How do I go about helping them to find out more? Thank you

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

When you say their are no common ancestors, I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you mean no matches where Ancestry shows a common ancestor? What about shared matches? It will likely be possible to narrow down the possibilities for the unknown close cousin by looking at shared matches, despite the lack of a tree. It may also be possible to investigate their identity from their username and/or profile.

As for looking at the other matches, have you referred this family member to Peter’s masterclass? That may be the best way to get them started.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The most obvious explanation is that they haven't linked a family tree to their DNA results. I agree with Pauline - they should join LostCousins and they should follow the advice in the Masterclass (so that they can benefit from my 10 years experience of working with DNA).

4. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Hi Pauline,
    Yes there are matches, but no common ancestors. The friends tree is linked with DNA, but there are only 63 people on it. Unfortunately the matches don't have trees or linked trees. They don't know who the father is and mothers side is tricky to follow, families from Poland/Germany, as well as surnames changing and unable to find a record to collaborate the change. I have looked at shared matches and at present looking at the common shared matches that appear in several. I have tried to follow the Masterclass, just really struggling trying to make sense of it all with so little to work with. There is no information for the fathers side, not even sure that the name told is correct, as not on birth certificate.

5. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

The person in question has linked their tree to DNA, but the matches haven't or don't even have a tree!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  6. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

some of the matches have been contacted, but as yet no response. Even searched names on social media sites. As to Lost cousins they haven't joined yet, but there is only one census with anyone in this country.

7. peter

Some of your relative's matches will have trees and will have linked to those trees - but if your relative's tree only has 65 people on it, this may be insufficient for Ancestry to identify who the common ancestors were. I suspect too that you friend may be focusing on close matches who don't have trees rather than considering more distant matches who do have trees.

Common Ancestors provides hints, but if you don't have any Common Ancestors it's not the end of the world - the Common Ancestors feature didn't even exist when I tested with Ancestry, but this didn't stop me from knocking down one of my oldest 'brick walls'.

Thanks for encouraging your relative to join LostCousins - I'm sure they'll find it useful. If they haven't already done so they should also consider uploading their DNA results to MyHeritage, as MyHeritage have sold tests in more European countries. Normally there is a charge, but from time to time MyHeritage allow free uploads.

8. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter and Pauline. If only ancestry could includ (if it was possible), if matches were from parent 1 or parent 2. I suppose in the future...

9. peter

The allocation of segments between parents isn't 100% accurate, so giving out this information would undoubtedly lead to wrong assumptions made. Make use of shared matches, beyond that collaboration with cousins is key.