1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA match

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Kate, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello. I Had a match of 79 cm on My Heritage with someone with whom I had been in contact years ago. As I knew roughly where the person fitted in, I researched the line and confirmed we are descended from a couple born in 1706.
    I was surprised to find a match with someone so far back.
    Is this usual?
    Thank you

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You haven't said what the relationship is - that's what ultimately matters, not the number of years. See the table in my Masterclass for the probabilities of finding cousins of a specific degree, and refer to the coloured chart for the range of observed values for shared DNA.

Also bear in mind that matches can appear to be closer than they really are when one or both come from isolated communities.

Finally, consider the possibility that you are also connected on another line - the further back you go the more likely this is.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

The person is my 6th cousin once removed, which doesn't sound so very distant now!
    I will have another look at your Masterclass as it is a while since I looked.
    Yes, I did wonder if we may have another connecton, thanks.