1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Deceased Online

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by Marguerite, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

I first wanted to place my post under "unsolved brickwalls" but here was stated:

"You have insufficient privileges to post here."

OK, here goes:

My grandfather has always been an enigma for me. His wife left him when their childen were under age.
    Annie Bowers was born 1876 in Marthall, Cheshire, to Abraham and Ann Sant Bowers. She married John Owen in 1894 and bore him five children. His father was given as James Owen.

John Owen was born 1869 Altrincham, Cheshire. l have ruled out the John Thomas and John Henry, born around this date.

After years of research, I found that his first daughter, Gladys May, married a Frederick Shaw in 1919 "Bucklow, Cheshire". No children - at least couldn't find any.

On Deceased Online I found a grave for John Owen, Stretford Cemetery, died November 1938
    together with Annie Owen, died 1935 and Gladys May Shaw, died 1940. These were all in the same grave, although the address for Annie was Stretford, whilst Gladys May Shaw's address was Sale, Cheshire.

On Ancestry, I suddenly found an entry for my grandfather who left a small amount of money to his firstborn (I assume). His address was the same as Gladys May Shaw's.

John Owen's date of death, i.e. 1938, leads me to believe that he is the John Owen born 1869 Altrincham and I am about to order his birth certificate.

It has taken me years to get to here and I just hope I am right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Fingers crossed Marguerite ;)

• Out of date Out of date x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you look closely you'll see that the 'brick walls' area hasn't opened yet - nobody can post there. I hope to be able to open it soon on a trial basis.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Just in case you aren't familiar with the geography, Marguerite, Altrincham (where I grew up) and Sale are very close to each other and Stretford not far away.

5. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

Thank you Liberty. You couldn't know of course but I was born in Sale and went to school in Altrincham. I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat but not at your expense.