1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Death at Sea

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Charlotte26, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

I have a death at sea reported in 1926, and recorded in the BT 334. Newspaper coverage of the event implies that all but one of the crew of the fishing trawler and the ships dog survived and only two bodies were recovered. The missing fisherman's wife re-married just under 2 years later in 1928 and the certificate states she was a widow. The fishing trawler got into difficulties of the coast of Galway, Ireland and the GRO have advised that I apply to either Roscommon or Belfast for the certificate. I can find no record that looks likely in any index for Ireland.
    Can anyone tell me if the GRO record a death and issue a certificate for events such as someone being lost at sea? How would his widow have been able to re-marry within 2 years of his disappearance without proof of death? There are no records of Probate or a Will.

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  3. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Just check out a family member (who I already had the records for) and found his record.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Charlotte26

Thanks, emjay and yes, I have looked at FindMyPast, they display the Board of Trade records( BT 334) from the National Archives but these are not GRO records so no death certificate is available. .

5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I looked up a record for a friend, and found her grandfather..with a photo attached to the image,(he went overboard on Christmas Day 1924)
    It was all very interesting for her as not only had I traced an unknown branch of her family, but a picture of her biological grandfather ( she was adopted as a baby)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Charlotte26

Unfortunately no photograph but enough information to confirm its the correct person and listed as " supposed drowned"