1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

CSMBE

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Kate, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello,
    I have a relation who had these letters after his name on his grave.
    He was buried in 1918. In 1911 he was a second division clerk in the civil service. I have not found any evidence that he went to war, so wondered if he had been in a reserved occupation.He was 31 when he died 'suddenly'.
    Could anyone suggest what the letters stood for, please?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Could it be a Civil Service MBE? King George V instituted the MBE in 1917.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

That crossed my mind and I looked on the Times archive but did not find him. However, I may not have looked properly so will check again as you had that idea. Thank you.

4. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I have had a look and cannot find him or the meaning of those initials.
    Any other ideas welcome. Thank you.

5. peter

Can you confirm precisely how the letters were written - do you have a photo?

For example, might it be "C.S. M.B.E." or "C.S.M. B.E"? (C.S.M. usually stands for Company Sergeant Major.)

6. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I have not been able to upload the photo of the grave as there is an error when I try. The photo is from findagrave and the transcription said C.S.M.B.E although I am less sure abut the B now I have looked again. Maybe it is something else! The letters look equally spaced.
    Thanks for your CSM suggestion.
    I always believe I will get a solution in the end!

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

What is the error you are getting Kate?

8. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

It just says there was a problem uploading my file. I am sure it is my fault somehow as i am not the best person on computers!

9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Do you want to try it again?

10. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have saved one or two images from Find A Grave and right clicking on the image and selecting 'Save picture as' (sometimes Save image as) from the drop-down list with a left click will open the default folder where the image can be saved. I invariably replace the image identification code with a name of my choice so that it can be easily found later. If you have not set up a folder for such saved images, then note the default folder (usually Downloads) as you save the picture.

11. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi
    I don't have a problem down loading it, just getting it on here. It still won't work.

12. peter

Perhaps it's too large? The size limit is 1200 by 1200 pixels, and the maximum file size is 1mb.

If the picture/file is too big you can easily reduce the size using Irfanview.

13. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I will look at that as I have never used it, thank you.

14. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thank you. It must have been too big! Hopefully it is now visible.

Attached Files:

15. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Looking at the grave stone picture might the lettering be: C.S. M.O.L? (I believe there is a small gap after the 'S'). Might this have been a way of portraying him as a Civil Servant, employed in the Ministry of Labour? The Ministry of Labour only came into being in 1916, taking over from the Board of Trade. Just a best guess really!

16. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Looking at the gravestone picture, I agree with Bob that there seems to be more of a gap between the S and the M than is between the other letters, but as to what the letters stand for ??????:(

17. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

It's a possibility.

18. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks for your comments. Like a lot of other things...I may find out one day!

19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Names of people appointed MBE were posted in the London Gazette. There is a Herbert Stanley Gray listed in June 1918, giving him as being in the War Trade Department - so a civil servant. Could this be your man?

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, I just came back to this post and was surprised to see the reply I thought I had made was not here.
    Sorry, I must have failed to press something.
    Yes this is my man and I have gathered some info on him from the Gazette.
    Thanks very much for your help.