1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Cousin relationships

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, May 5, 2014.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

How about "Cousin Jack (or whatever his first name is)"? Or drop the "Cousin" and simply use his first name? In our family we are quite relaxed about the younger generation simply calling us by our first names. As my nephews and niece and the offspring of my first cousins reached adulthood it seemed appropriate for them to drop the courtesy title and use our names. Similarly when our sons married we invited our daughters-in-law to call us by our first names, and when the grandchildren came along everyone called me Grandma Susan. Our younger daughter-in-law is Burmese and her mother was mildly shocked at her daughter calling us by our first names, as in Burmese culture this implies lack of respect. Now that they have produced a grandson my Burmese daughter-in-law can call me Grandma Susan without displeasing her mother.:)

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

In genealogical terms they are first cousins - no two ways about it. In the past I daresay they might have called him Uncle John, further in the past he would have been Cousin John, and nowadays I guess just John.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

A recent 100th birthday party for someone in my husband's family got me reflecting on cousin relationships. As a child I remember having a couple of first cousins once removed (and frequently drove my father up the wall by referring to them as 2nd cousins!) but I have only come across more distant cousins since starting family history research. I have now made contact with numerous 4th and 5th cousins, occasional 2nd and 3rd cousins and some very distant cousins - 10th & beyond.

However, at this 100th birthday party we met one of the birthday girl's great grandchildren who we already knew had the same first name (Annabel) as our granddaughter, and a quick calculation made us realise that the two Annabel's are 4th cousins.

Our granddaughter was not actually at the party, and is still too young to appreciate what a cousin is, but it made me wonder if now that people are living longer, meeting up with more distant cousins on family occasions will become increasingly common.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Have to give that some thought Margery because I recall my niece -a daughter my sister had later in life (with a third husband) - and with older siblings from her mother's other marriages, relates in much the same way as you relate.