1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Country of birth question

Discussion in '2021 Census' started by Luke, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Should we start a campaign to have people write their place of birth within UK on the 2021 form?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Luke

Luke LostCousins Member

Now that the census questions are set, ostensibly there is no way that the form will be changed to ask for place of birth within UK.

To get around this, would it be any worth to launch a campaign to ask people to write their place of birth within the UK in the boxes under "Elsewhere, write in the name of the country".

While this information would be rejected by those who compile the census data now, if the completed forms are kept in storage for 99 years just as they are for the census forms to date, this information will be made apparent to researchers who will be able to examine these forms next century.

We have seen many examples of interesting, insightful or just plain amusing notes on historical census forms ... could we rally to encourage people to volunteer to add this information to their form to help future family historians?

Thoughts?

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I think it's a great idea, but I suspect that anyone completing the census online will find that they can't both tick the box for England (say) and enter a place name in the box.

3. Luke

Luke LostCousins Member

Good point, I can see that could be the case! I guess then the campaign would have to be that people respond with the paper form and fill in place of birth in the space underneath. This may also want to be encouraged to get insight on people's handwriting too.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It would add substantially to the cost if everyone used the paper form - at least £100 million, and quite possibly more - and there would be no guarantee that the paper forms are retained (they're clearly designed to be scanned and read by machine).