1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

Coal Mining & Pit Disasters

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Bob Spiers, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Star

After a quite long search to try to discover if a Coal Mining ancestor had died (in his 40's) because of his involvement in a Mining Accident/Disaster I came across a most interesting Site 'The Coalmining History Resource Centre'. As well as covering the subject I needed to research -accidents/disasters - it offers a wealth of other information all relating to Coalmining in the 18th Century onwards. You will find it here Coalmining.

My own research is still on-going, but if any site will yield the information I seek, it is this one. Its Database: 'National Database of Mining Deaths in Great Britain from 1700' (containing 164,000 records) is simply quite mind boggling, not to mention very, very sad. You can search (CTL+F) by various criteria: ancestor names; year periods, location areas or, if known, the name of the Pit itself. Or just scroll down until you come across the period in question and seek out the Pit areas of interest.

If still lacking details then I suggest you 'Google' the name of the Pit and year of the Accident/Disaster (as I am doing) -or check Newspapers archives online (perhaps FMP) to uncover even more details.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

As some of you may be aware, the site Bob gave no longer exists.
    A bit of detective work on Google found the reason. The site was owned by the solicitors' firm Raleys and they went into administration in March 2016.

However, part of the site is still available on Wayback Machine. The pdf files listing reports of disasters are there but unfortunately the search function for individuals is not. Just copy and paste Bob's link into Wayback Machine's search box.