1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Closure of South African Genealogy Records

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Jennie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Closure of the Largest Online Archive of South African Genealogy Records (as seen on Who Do You Think You Are).

I have used this site in the past and was surprised to see the following notice I found after clicking on "Subscribe Now". I entered a name in the Home page search box and it produced results with the expected limited information. I would suggest that anyone wishing to use this facility doesn’t leave it too long before viewing.

Peter, please delete all my post if putting this information here contravenes any policies of the Forum site.

“..........We regret to advise that the Ancestry24 business will close on 28 February 2013. After this date, the web-site www.ancestry24.co.za will cease to function.

With regard to your premium subscription, which was planned to continue past 28 February 2013, we will be refunding the entire subscription amount that you paid to us. This effectively means that you will have been able to utilize the premium access at no charge during the portion of your subscription that is expired at 28 February 2013. We trust this relieves the inconvenience.

The refund mechanism will be in the same manner as you paid. In other words: - If you originally paid by credit card then the refund will be done in the same manner. - if you originally paid by electronic bank transfer then the refund will be done via our ABSA bank account.

These refunds will be effected to your account during January / February 2013......."

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The nature of the refunding money etc makes it sound like it's not closing because of commercial difficulties, they wouldn't refund cash if that was the case. Its more likely they are closing the site on that address as they have sold the database rights to another organisation.

However having looked at the site and seeing that the branding, colour styles, website name and logos are very very similar to Ancestry I'd not be surprised if Naspers Limited the company running the site hasn't been sued by Ancestry for copyright/trademark infringement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Yes, I thought it may have been somewhere along those lines you suggest - sounds like an 'out-of-court' settlement? All will come clear in the future, no doubt.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I warned members about the closure of Ancestry24 in my newsletter of 25th January.