1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Clerk in Roly Arders

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I couldn't make it up even if I tried, but came across 'Clerk in Roly Arders' in an Ancestry search of a 1911 Census. The original of course was spidery handwriting but could be made out to be Clerk in Holy Orders with (established church) added on the original.

Out of curiosity -as I have been doing some comparison Ancestry v FMP searches for a posting I will submit another time - his occupation is shown as .....Clerk in Tool Cutters established church.

I am not sure which is worse but if you want to check it out it is for a John Beggs born 1877 found in Macclesfield, Cheshire.

If anyone has anything to match or beat this, here would be a good place to post your offerings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

John Beggs' writing is pretty awful! His wife's birthplace should read: Newton le Willows

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

I use The Genealogist and have much trouble searching that site's databases as they tend to put down the first thing that comes into the transcribers head - and, yes, Clerk in Roly Arders is given as John Beggs' occupation. Another result in the same search for John Beggs (I searched on just John born 1877 in the 1911 census for Cheshire) was an occupation of "Mcmufaburest Agent" (aka Manufactureres Agent), or how about "Packer Oliach Works" (Packer Bleach Works) or "Synolman Lahwley" (Signalman L & NW Ry). I could go on!

It does tend to hone your search technique when nothing is returned, but you know something should be there, so you have to try rather oblique search parameters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I have considered subscribing to The Genealogist site, would you recommend it?

5. Bob Spiers

Hi David (welcome to the Forum by the way). Yes out of curiosity I subscribed to The Genealogist (TG) and will unsubscribe the moment my subscription period is up in a couple of months. I just thought it might be the middle ground providing answers where both Ancestry or FMP draw a blank. Each of the latter have differing qualities but TG I find has little to make it stand out and certainly not worth its subscription fee. I have not used it enough to notice its transcription bloopers but those you quote brought a real smile to my face; they are all priceless!:) I am curious to know what oblique search parameters are needed, but perhaps similar to the ones I use in FMP.

I have had my own problems with FMP as you may have read, but now they have announced a Beta 'New Search' perhaps this will stop it being over fussy in what you can and can't enter when you search. And Ancestry is, well, just Ancestry and seems to have been there for ever but is still the yardstick to beat.

6. Bob Spiers

If I said don't waste your money, would that answer your question? But you probably knew I would say that if you have read my response to David. TG has a certain charm in its layout no denying that, but I have not found it once providing an answer that either Ancestry or FMP hadn't already provided first. Indeed, reversing that procedure by researching only from TG I was in fact disappointed time and again when it was unable to find something (perhaps David's reverse parameter reference holds the clue here) which proved to be simple in Ancestry or FMP (or both).

To be truthful I have not explored all its (so called) exclusive data bases having no call to do so, so it might score here and there with speciality searches as it does with a useful Newsletter. But for a not so cheap annual subscription it is not, in my opinion, value for money and they will not let me cancel my subscription other than by option not to renew.

Before posting I Googled using 'The Genealogist' as a search term. I found someone warning that taking up their 14 Free Trial period had hidden dangers. Once you give your credit card details (compulsory) TG have legal claim to the money (£109) until the end of the Trial period; and if the subscription is not cancelled of course they claim the money. But he DID cancel and found the bank unable to let him draw on his account (he admits without the return of the money he would be overdrawn) until the end of the 14 day reserve. It all sounds 'pie in the sky' to me, but remember Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware) and tread carefully:(.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

I tend to agree with Bob. Not wishing to run down TG too much though. I did subscribe a few years ago and found them good - this was before the 1911 census transcription came on line and they kept saying "it's coming, it's coming", but so was the end of my subscription and guess which came first, so I moved to Ancestry for a couple of years and then late last year moved back to TG as they had a useful cashback offer (did I say I was born in Yorkshire?) :) . BUT ... the quality of their 1911 census transcription leaves a lot to be desired. Here's one example:

What I was searching for:

Head: James Horner, b: Feb 1883 Thirsk, Yorkshire. Occupation : Butcher
    Spouse: Jessie Horner, (nee Johnson) b: 1885 South Kilvington, Yorkshire
    Child: Hilda Horner, b: 1909 Thirsk, Yorkshire
    Child: Allan Horner, b: 1911, Sowerby, Yorkshire

They were all living at Princess Terrace, Sowerby, Thirsk.

What has actually been transcribed is as follows:

Image Reference: RG14 - PN29042 RD530 SD2 ED3 SN60

Head: Jane Horner b: 1883, Thirsk, Yorkshire. Occupation: Burcher. (He is actually recorded as being a male!)
    Spouse: Jenie Horner b:1887 (age transcribed as 24, not 26), St Ritongton, Yorkshire
    Child: Lida Horner b: 1910 (OK the age is within the margin of error)
    Child: Allan Horner b: 1908 (he was actually 3 months old at the time of the census.)

Address: Sowerby (It looks like when the record was transcribed they only looked at the Household page and not the 'Stamp' page.)

At least they got the surname correct - usually it is transcribed as Homer, Honor or even Horms. I think their problem came from outsourcing the transcription to folk who did not have any geographical awareness of England and, possibly, only had English as a second language (why else would they use 'Burcher' as an occupation - and it's not the only example.)

One outstanding feature of TG though is the the helpfulness of their Forum. There are several people on it who are only too willing to investigate problems/queries offering solutions and suggestions (much like Lost Cousins!) :rolleyes:

When my current subscription expires I will in all probability join Find My Past as I have found their Bishop Transcripts records very useful and Peter seems to be able to get some good deals there from time to time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

David, I think I have one of those. Too much to hope it's the same ancestor/relative. More likely the same transcriber!