1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Christened differently to parents' wishes

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

My wife reminds that I failed to highlight in my narrative about Uncle Son’s hairpiece, the similarity between how people viewed the new hairpiece and the fairy-tale of ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes’. At the time everyone knew Son was acquiring a hairpiece; and not just any old hairpiece, but one that was bespoke and tailored to fit. So when finally they saw him sporting his new hairpiece -and being totally unaware it was a non-bespoke replacement - they had little option but to compliment him on his choice. Once that was done there was no going back, and unlike the fairy-tale, there was no child to destroy the illusion.

Arriving much later on the scene when the hairpiece was a fait-accompli, I personally think it suited the man and his character. He just wouldn't have been Uncle Son without it.;)