1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Census facts with no LostCousins fact?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Bob Spiers, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I've not been on the forums for a while. That report SHOULD be those who have an LC fact for the year but are missing a census fact. The most common cause of this going wrong is to do with it incorrectly identifying countries and getting things muddled.

NOTE IT HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH CENSUS REFERENCES. So all the discussions about census references are interesting but essentially off topic. I note there are a lot of comments so I'll read through them all to see if this has been cleared up however on just reading the first few responses I thought it wise to step in to clear up the census reference confusion.

Unfortunately looking at the GEDCOM
    The key bit of info is missing the tag before the first line. It should be something like

1 RESI

I note there is such a line at the bottom of the GEDCOM. This may be the issue if you have TWO census references for 1911 but only 1 Lost Cousins entry. It could be that the problem is you have recorded the census twice?

2. Alexander Bisset

Sorry Tim it implies no such thing. Census references have nothing whatsoever to do with these reports on the Lost Cousins page.

What it actually implies or what you can infer from the title ;) is that you have a Lost Cousins fact but have no corresponding Census fact. Whether the census fact has or doesn't have a census reference is entirely immaterial.

As I noted in the previous message this is most likely down to having recorded two census facts for the same year but only recording one Lost Cousins fact. So its highlighting a possible duplicate census fact.

3. Alexander Bisset

This is an issue I've not correctly addressed it seems. The reports are very UK centric. I'll need to investigate Canadian 1881 census LC entries on my return from holiday on 3rd November.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Thanks for your input Alexander and most of all the information contained in the above quote. That without doubt explains the high number of hits I am getting for Census facts with no LC fact. By dint of the way I use my Ancestry Tree -and essentially the way Ancestry works - I know it is quite possible (indeed likely for major names in my family) that I will trigger 'Saves' that will create duplicate entries . In all cases I will only record one LC entry. QED!

So in a nutshell, I need not pursue the FTA anomalies further. I may do some housekeeping to reduce the entries, but likely many will remain as they are. I accept along the way it has raised the question of the validity of the Census Gedcom information, and that is still under the microscope but, as Alexander points out, not the actual issue in question.

Well done that man, and thanks.:)

5. Alexander Bisset

I use the save features too but I don't have duplicate census entries for the same year. It may be that you manually entered a census and also saved a census thus have two entries for the one year. It should be possible to see the list of facts on the individuals page and merge them.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Has this been answered and somehow I have missed the explanation? I now have another similar situation that I don't understand.

7. Bryman

I have found two separate census entries for my Great Grandmother in the 1881 UK census. One where she was normally residing and another where she was visiting friends. Do I need a second Lost Cousins fact and if so then what should it contain?

8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Try just adding another Lost Cousins Fact?

9. Bryman

My GenoPro system only allows a single Lost Cousins fact for each of the three UK census years. That is why I asked to know what changes I need to make. FTA needs to be expecting certain specific information or it will not be able to recognise and appropriately match the various records.

10. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm genuine occurrences of two census entries is not something I'd covered. The lists are working off counts, the variance in the count prompts for a missing entry to be entered. It probably also reports as an error that you have duplicate census facts?