1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Catholic illegitimate Children

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Sue345, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

My great grandparents William Smyth and Mary Neil had a total of six children in a span of fourteen years all baptised in the Catholic Church with the names of both parents in every case. However all the children are named as Illeg, Bastard, Spurious or Mr Lunatic. In later life these children grew up to be Church of Ireland faith. William and Mary were obviously a couple but no marriage has yet been found. If they married outside the Catholic Church would the children be considered illegitimate?

2. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

To some extent it depends on when this occurred, as they are greatgrandparents then your suggestion is probably correct. The Catholic church often had their own rules and one was that marriage in a catholic church was the only recognised marriage as well as both parents had to be catholic. My father in law had to become catholic to marry in the 1940's but an aunt married in a catholic church in the 1960's without having to convert, though she did have to promise to raise her children as catholics.

3. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Thanks Rhian. Dates of baptisms 1839 -1853.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

As I understand it, a Catholic could only marry a non-Catholic in a Catholic church if it was agreed that the children would be brought up as Catholics. So my guess is that there is some other reason this couple couldn't marry, for example ,one of them was already married to somebody else - or else they were cousins.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1