1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can you edit your cookies?

Discussion in 'Findmypast' started by peter, Jul 31, 2022.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There is a Cookies Policy page at Findmypast with a button at the bottom which reads Edit my cookies. However nothing happens when I click the button - does it work for you?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The button at the bottom says Edit settings when I look at this page, but nothing happens if I click on it anyway.

3. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

If it is on the page: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/cookies-policy I get a standard header line with "Cookie Settings" a quarter page down on an otherwise blank page and, whilst the pointer changes to imply a link the HTML consists of:
    <div id="cookieOptionsWrapper"><button id="ot-sdk-btn" class="ot-sdk-show-settings">Cookie Settings</button></div>
    so there is no link to follow.

Using Firefox 102.0.1

4. I wasn't logged in to FMP and thought I'd do it the long way round to see what happens.
    I selected a link from Google which took me to the log in page, I got a pop up to say 'but first, Cookies'. with two choices Edit Cookies and That's Fine.
    I selected Edit cookies and got the attached which is similar to what I've seen in other websites (don't ask me to remember which ones).

I think that is what you should see if you select the link you are presented with, if not I suggest the question should be asked.

Attached Files:

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I found the "cookie policy" which took me to "edit settings" but clicking on it gets me nothing.:(

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I’m not quite sure if Phil was looking in the same place as I was or not, but if you look at the source you can see the same applies for the Edit settings button - there is no target for it to link to.

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Following Phil's link it opened momentarily to 'Cookie Settings' on an otherwise blank page, then the page changed to reveal the default cookie settings and then listed each cookie within 4 main headings: Strictly Necessary/Performance/Functional/Targeting.

The Edit Settings button at the base merely allows you to 'Confirm my Choices' and either accept or reject by altering the 'blue' slider button under each heading (here is an example set to Targeting Cookies)

upload_2022-8-1_10-40-42.png

If you want to edit a particular cookie then you go back to the Settings page and select the cookie link you want to edit. Say for example Twitter.com. You click on its link which (from the few examples I chose for experimentation purpose) takes you to the cookie policy page of the item chosen, where you can Reject or Accept all as required.

I have no comments on doing the same from within FMP and not even sure the above answers any question, but I merely followed through with Phil's link and took it from there.

I was using Opera first off but got the same responses using Chrome.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  8. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

On Firefox, I saw the same as Phil.
    On Chrome, I saw the "Cookies" page with a list of all the cookies, but greyed behind a confirm/edit cookies box. Edit settings in that brings up the same "Privacy preference Center" that Bob shows.
    Going back to Firefox, I had trackers blocked and Google Tag Manager was listed as blocked. Enabling that and reloading that almost blank page gives the same as Bob describes - a pause, then the full "Cookies" page. Redisabling that tracker and reloading makes it go away again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

When I followed the link from PhilGee's post it took me to the same Cookie page I was already on in another browser tab, but with Edit Settings functional (though I didn't make any changes). Going back to the previous tab it was still non-functi0nal - until I refreshed the page. All this was in Chrome.

In Edge I still had the Cookie page open with a non-functional button; again refreshing the page solved the problem.

It could be that Findmypast spotted the problem overnight and fixed it.....