1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can FTA help find a list for me to enter at LC?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by peter, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

There's discussion elsewhere about colour blindness - maybe not a red/green colour! (isn't reddy green a sort of murky brown?)

I like Alexander's suggestion of the tag 'Missing'. I am quite prepared to look every so often for the family of 4 small children who vanished from the 1881 census, leaving their parents in peace, (reappearing in 1891) but would rather that I had something to alert me before I started that it wasn't going to be straightforward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking a turquiose green colour.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Lol, that will stand out!

4. Alexander Bisset

v3.6.1.5 has support for a Missing custom tag. This works identically to a Lost Cousins tag in that it is a custom tag that takes a year. eg:
    Code:
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Missing
    2 DATE 1891

This will indicate to FTAnalyzer that you have tried your best but you really just can't find this person on the 1891 census. As Tim highlighted as its a separate fact it will be reportable from the fact filter reports and I've added a colour filter for it too.

The only question is should the "All Green" report include ones tagged as missing? ie: if you have someone alive on 4 census and one of them is tagged as missing should that person appear on the list of All green or should all green be reserved for those that are FULLY complete?

5. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

As one who has some relatives evading detection, I would say that the report should show that they are still AWOL. It is very unlikely that I will find them, but until I do (or KNOW 100% they will never be found) records should not show that me search is fully complete. An analogy (prompted by God knows what) is that the Queen was Heir Presumptive until the day George VI died; it was extremely unlikely that he would have a son, but because the chance remained, she could not be Heir Apparent. There are doubtless more relevant analogies.

6. Alexander Bisset

Thanks Liberty. I've gone with that idea. Ie:all green only means those you have completely found. Have a try adding a missing tag for those you are struggling with to see what you think of the results. I can tweak the colour if required.

7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Are we any nearer to resolving the 'associated' situation where UK servicemen are recorded on the UK census at a foreign location?

Currently shown as Dark Grey but they are on the UK census so shouldn't they be Dark Green?
    There is nothing left outstanding as far as census information is concerned.

For other individuals recorded as having left the UK and not returned, the Dark Grey looks fine.

8. Alexander Bisset

I've added this as an issue from the previous issue with wrong greens. It's therefore on my to do list. I recall you gave me a census ref as an example I can't recall if I saw a GEDCOM snippet as an example. A reminder wouldn't go amiss :)

I'm currently revamping the colour census report to include census reports for US, Canada & Ireland which are the supported Lost Cousins census countries. It would be useful to tidy up this issue with colour census reports at the same time.

9. Alexander Bisset

Fixed it will be released in the next version which will either be called v3.6.2.0 or possibly be 3.7.0.0 I've not decided.

Note the reference given in the example ie: "Class: RG14; Piece: 34993; SN:9999:" had 3 issues all of which are now tolerated...

1) SN: has no space after it
    2) Ends in : rather than ;
    3) 4 digit SN (previously only allowed 3 as that's what non overseas SN can be

So the one issue has highlighted a few things that are now fixed.

10. Bryman

So much finger trouble! That is why I originally kept it simple in my notes, such as "Piece 34993, SN 9999" with year inferred from elsewhere.

11. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm Piece number comma SN number. That's a whole different format. Should I add support for that too or is that overkill?

12. Bryman

Probably overkill. It would have been preferred (by me) but having changed all my existing to use : and ; with inserted Class, I ought to now stick with one format. Presumably this more complex format was originally produced by program rather than by manual composition.

13. Alexander Bisset

It's the format used by Ancestry when you save a fact to someone in your tree.