1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can anyone help date this photo please?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by JennieL, May 17, 2022.

1. JennieL

JennieL LostCousins Member

Hello
    Can anyone here help date this photo for me please, or suggest a forum where I could post it to get help with this?
    It is purported to be of a family from a fairly rural spot in Pembrokeshire, though they could have moved to Bristol by the time it was taken.
    The person believed to be the older gentleman died in 1862 (he was a tailor).
    My instinct tells me this photo was taken some time after the date of his death. I don't know enough about C19th century fashions to be able to say for sure though, so would welcome the thoughts and opinions of anyone who has more experience than me of dating photographs using dress and hairstyles. The younger couple in the photo are of course more likely to be dressed in the fashion of the day (or close to it) than the older couple.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jennie Mathias.JPG

2. JimP

JimP LostCousins Member

Not an expert on dating pictures by any stretch. But the style of suit jacket, especially that worn by the younger man, is identical to one worn by my great-grandfather in a portrait circa 1895-1900. The style of the women's dresses is also similar to pictures I have from the late 1880s and 1890s (and some continuing into the 1900s)

Also, the picture does not strike me as 1860s, as the pose of the younger man would have been difficult to hold for a long exposure time.

3. JennieL

JennieL LostCousins Member

Thank you Jim. My feeling was that it’s early 1900s, but I don’t have many British photos in my family from that era to compare it to.

4. Things about this photo are nagging in my mind but I can't drag up the full memory of a discussion about it. I have searched the Forum and cannot find a previous post.
    I am fairly certain I have seen this photo before and the discussion revolved around the collar style of the men's jackets which identified an approximate date for when the photo was taken.
    John Mathias the Tailor and his wife Elizabeth Davis/David/Davies appear in several trees in Ancestry but I lost patience while looking through the galleries to find a matching photo.
    Perhaps contact with one of the tree owners might bear fruit?