1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Burials affected by HS2

Discussion in 'England' started by Kate, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, I have heard that the disinterred bodies from the churchyard at Stoke Mandeville will be respectfully buried with a memorial. Does anyone know if this has happened yet? I believe my ancestor would have been buried there in 1833. Thanks

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I would suggest checking with the church.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks, I should have thought of that! I have contacted the ' new' church.

4. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I could only find what HS2 said during the excavation process: that the reburial site would be announced by HS2, and they had five years from the first exhumation to complete the reburials. However, that was before Covid, so while the five years is nearly up, they may have valid grounds for a deferral.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I have been told that the burial ground will be in Marsh Lane. It will be landscaped and there will be a memorial.I recently saw something about it on Digging for Britain and they showed some of the skeletons. Although I find archaeology fascinating, I am never sure about disturbing burials.