1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Burial place

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by jenata, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jenata

jenata Member

Hi,
    Please can someone help in locating the burial place for
    William Reid WOODING, born 1866, died 1866 Canterbury, NZ

Also
    Robert Reid, born 1850 Scotland, died 1870 Canterbury, NZ

Thanks in advance
    jenata

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

jenata, welcome to the forum.

As you probably know, the place of burial wasn't shown on New Zealand death certificates until 1875, so as these deaths occurred in 1866 and 1870 it's likely to be just as difficult finding the burial places as it would be in England (where even today the place of burial isn't given - indeed you wouldn't even know from the death certificate whether the person was buried or cremated).

There are three things I'd suggest:
    • identify the local cemeteries from using a Google search then look for online transcriptions/indexes; check the websites of the cemeteries
    • look in the local newspapers for death announcements - these were more common in the 19th century than they are today
    • look at later (post-1875) death certificates for other family members to see where they were buried - you may well find, as I did when I tracked down some of my ancestors' graves recently (see Visiting the graves of my ancestors), that there are other relatives buried in the same plot
    Hope this helps - and for the benefit of those who don't live in New Zealand perhaps you'd like to post details of the main New Zealand resources that you use on the More New Zealand resources page which I've just created?

3. raven

raven LostCousins Member

Jenata, I have just looked up on the NZSG burial locator c.d rom and found the following information:

Wooding, William Read
    died: 1866
    record type: death registration
    record number: 674

Reid, Robert
    died: 1870
    record type: death registration
    record number: 836

I've checked in the Invercargill cemetery database, and William Wooding is there buried: 5 December 1866

I see that Robert Reid does not show up in the Christchurch city database, but that doesn't mean he's not around somewhere of course.

I hope this helps. :)

4. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

If he isn't in the Christchurch City database and he did live in Christchurch, then the best place to start checking is in the Barbadoes Street cemetery records - that's the oldest cemetery in the city and not in the database. Many larger New Zealand libraries will have a copy of the transcripts from there on microfiche (check the catalogue for 'New Zealand Cemetery Records').

5. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

Hi Raven

I would like to take you up on your offer to do a lookup on your NZSG burial locator, if I may, please. I am looking for Stanley Livingstone Mark, who died in 1932, probably in Christchurch, and his wife Ruby Elizabeth who died in 1967. This is the one thing I miss about not living in Christchurch any more!! I have looked up all of the on line cemetery sites that I know of for Christchurch and Canterbury, without any luck.

Your help (if you have some spare time) would be greatly appreciated (and sorry if I am posting in the wrong place - just thought I would piggyback on the previous request).

6. jenata

jenata Member

Raven,
    Thank you so much for this, please can you look up the following person on the burial locator
    James Liddle REID, died Aug 1924 King Country. Would like to know where he is buried?

Thanks in advance
    Jenata

7. JohnB

JohnB LostCousins Member

Hello jenata,
    You've probably got the information by now, but in case not, there was a James Little (sic) Reid, age 69, buried at Raurimu Cemetery (which is in the King country). This cemetery is administered by Ruapehu District Council which does not have records online, but possibly might reply to an email request for further details.