1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

BRITISH NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE LOOK UP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Brooksey, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Brooksey

Brooksey New Member

Not sure if I am posting this on the correct site - sorry if not.

If there is somebody who subscribes to the BNA could they do a look up or me please.

It is for JOHN HENRY OWEN DAVY - there is an article in the Birmingham Daily Gazette dated the 18 October 1940.

I would appreciate a copy of the article please.

Thanks

Chris

2. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

Many public libraries have a subscription to the BNA, which is free to use on site. All you need is a library ticket.

Brian Dobson

3. Brooksey

Brooksey New Member

Thank you for responding. As I am a member of my local Library I did look there but unfortunately they do not have access to the BNA.

Chris

4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Brooksey, do you have a Find my past subscription? if so the article can be found there.

5. Brooksey

Brooksey New Member

No - I only subscribe to Ancestry!

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Look-up requests are most appropriate when the resources are not available online, and this also avoids any potential rights issues.

Have you asked your cousins if they can help? I'm sure you're in touch with dozens of cousins (not all found through LostCousins of course :(), and the chances are that one of your cousins who shares the same line has a subscription to Findmypast/BNA. In those circumstances there won't be any problem with rights.

Alternatively you can get a one month subscription to BNA for £5 (see my latest newsletter) - this will not only allow you to look up this article, but others which mention your relatives. There are over 100 million articles in the collection, so there are bound to be dozens (perhaps hundreds) of others relevant to your research.

7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Has anyone actually tried to find this article in the BNA?

I had a look via my FMP subscription and could not find the Birmingham Daily Gazette included.
    If someone else is successful then perhaps they could let me know how to search correctly.

8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Bryman, yes I did find the article, but did not know if it was in order to do lookups and having found it I did not know how to get the article on the forum, I am not very computer savvy.
    Having had no luck finding Mr Davy looking on FMP in the newspaper section, I did a search in "all records" thinking surely there could not be lots of men named John Henry Owen Davy. Apart from 3 entries for him, a birth, a marriage and the 1939 entry, plus a thousand and one entries for just John Davy that seemed to be it but I scrolled down the left hand side where FMP lists how many entries there are in each category and right at the bottom was "Newspapers and Periodicals" but without a number attached, undeterred I clicked on it and lo and behold the article appeared. I did ask Brooksey if she had a FMP subscription and I see that she hasn't.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Found it straight away, It came back with only 1 hit :)