1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

British Library archiving digital publications

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Carla, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Having posted about the American digital progect i thought i would also mention the fact that there are many other similar projects going on at this time. Not justancestry information but things which will go into the archives of our future generations history. The BBC finished digitaising the Radio Times at the end of last year and will make it available to the public some time this year, though possibly for a charge! It will give our children and grandchildren and idea of what we used to watch, and indeed i think i could find it interesting to be reminded of my youthful tv watching. :)

Then you have the fact that from the 6th April 2013 the British Library has been archiving all digital publications. This will include facebook, twitter, blogs and all sorts (oerr i had better be careful what i write!) some of the comments on this were interesting as not everyone is pleased!
    There are a few online articles about it so i have put two links here in this sentence, too

We are history in the making! Or should i say ARE we history in the making?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I saw interviews on the news channels this morning about this. All .co.uk websites as well as all the other stuff.

The last link to the FT did not work as it wanted me to subscribe before I could look at the article!

3. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Subscription is free and not too difficult. I read the article and this is just a wee extract:
    How can it be accessed?
    The archive will be open to the public from January 2014. Readers will need to go to the physical premises of the British Library or one of the five other legal deposit libraries: the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales, Bodleian Library in Oxford, Cambridge University Library and Trinity College Dublin.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Thanks for that Maid of Kent.
    I am afraid that I saw all the charges and just got rid of the page - say to self, must be more careful and observant in future and read/scan the whole page.
    I do not know how I have managed to find a reasonable amount of info on my family history, if I am so unobservant!

5. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Been there Katie Bee and done that - don't you think that it could be because we are sooooo very anxious to cram in as much information about our ancestry as we can that we tend to skip things. You're right, you can't be that unobservant.

Talking of which....I remember as a kid my Dad (in photo) would set out a tray of all manner of bits and pieces and get me to see how many I could remember after studying it for a few minutes. He was one clever dude, I think.

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Hello there. When I was a child that was one of the party games that my Mother devised and when I was a Girl Guide leader it was one of the observation activities we used. There was another where everyone was sent out of the room and brought in one by one. My Mother had placed a row of eggs on a mat and the participant was blindfolded and asked to walk across the mat without treading on the eggs. The eggs were quickly taken away but the unlucky partygoer went crunch, crunch across the mat never realising, until the blindfold was removed, that there was a layer of cornflakes underneath!

• Creative Creative x 2
  7. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Oh, I like that last one Margery. Have a good day.

• Agree Agree x 1