1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Britain in fact, fiction and film ... 1945 -1980

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by Britjan, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

A somewhat grandiose title I admit but I have just promised myself that I will read the first volume of David Kynaston's series, "Tales of New Jerusalem" . On no less recommendation than Nick Hornby ( his book "Fever Pitch" and the first film of it made in 1997 are among my favourites ) I am flexing my muscles to tackle "Austerity Britain , 1945-1951" at about 700 pages. Here is a description from my public library's website.

"Coursing through Austerity Britain is an astonishing variety of voices - vivid, unselfconscious, and unaware of what the future holds. A Chingford housewife endures the tribulations of rationing; a retired schoolteacher observes during a royal visit how well-fed the Queen looks; a pernickety civil servant in Bristol is oblivious to anyone's troubles but his own. An array of working-class witnesses describe how life in post-war Britain is, with little regard for liberal niceties or the feelings of their 'betters'."

If anyone has read it please wade in and comment or recommend something else which is not too scholarly for the average reader. I have read a great deal of fiction from this time period and as a film fan have my favourites but I haven't tackled much non-fiction.

I'll leave it to others to also comment on a fiction book or film that they believe paints a realistic picture of Britain in that era or perhaps venture into another and then we can have some sub groups under a general theme.

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

At the moment I am reading "Real Lancashire" by Phil Smith. "A journey through the history of the old county" which I am finding a very interesting read. I do not read very much fiction, preferring non-fiction. Funnily the next book I intend to read is "Austerity Britain 1945 - 51" , [Sunday Times book of the decade ] , so I too will be interested to hear if anyone has read it. I have waiting for me on my bookshelf another David Kynaston book "Family Britain 1951 - 57" which is also a 700 page book. We are in for a heatwave for several days this week so maybe I will get started on one of them.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

If it only covers 6 years how is it a book of the decade ;) A book of 60% of a decade surely!!

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Its a good point, however it would be 70% as there are 7 years in 1945-51 :)

5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Just to muddy the waters I thought the accolade was for the decade in which the book was published rather than the era it was about? I tried a Google search to clarify this and was thoroughly confused. Either way some latitude is permissible in my book :D, and like all Top Ten or One Hundred Best lists no one is ever going to agree!!

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Good point Alexander, I was just stating what is printed on the cover, but maybe Britjan has a good point also........ "I thought the accolade was for the decade in which the book was published rather than the era it was about? " Then again Tim makes the point............" Its a good point, however it would be 70% as there are 7 years in 1945-51 :)" Just goes to show what a lively bunch we all are !!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, the date could have been omitted from the title : " Austerity Britain" ....and still named as the book of the decade :)