1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Boys College Nelson NZ & passenger lists

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by HET31, Jul 5, 2013.

1. HET31

HET31 LostCousins Member

Hi All
    Does anyone know if there are any online free to view passenger lists for England to New Zealand around 1911 please? My husband has a great aunt Gertie with her cousin May (Ethel May) emigrating to New Zealand around this time. Aunt Gertie returned to Norfolk in the late thirties but, so I am told, May never married and never returned to England. May and Gertie were at The Boys College Nelson in 1913. Gertie did domestic work but not sure about May's work.
    Thanks
    Heather

2. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

3. HET31

HET31 LostCousins Member

Many thanks for responding. I've not had any luck there. I thought I'd found the registration of Ethel May Allen's death on the NZ government website but it wasn't the right Ethel May! I must say they were very prompt in dealing with my request for information.

4. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

This extract from the Archives NZ web site may explain why you couldn't find the names you were looking for on familysearch:

"Some eight million names appear on the shipping lists which span 132 years from 1840 to 1972. The lists record the names and details of people who came to New Zealand on assisted passages."

5. HET31

HET31 LostCousins Member

Thanks. I did manage to find Gertie (well I am reasonably sure it is her) on the Rangitane coming out of Wellington and arriving in London on 8 June 1937.

6. Tonycornish

Tonycornish LostCousins Member

While the results are not free FMP has a great outbound passenger lists 1890-1960 which can be searched and used to confirm information you have found elsewhere, buying 60 credits is not too expensive

7. HET31

HET31 LostCousins Member

Thanks Tony. I will have a look at the site.