1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

BMD search parameters

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by timd, Jul 24, 2015.

1. timd

timd New Member

I thought the attached taken recently from "Deceased Online" set out some rather helpful advice on name search parameters which would be equally applicable to BMD searches, although some modifications would probably be applicable to the BMD indexes and equivalents would needed for place and date searches:

Useful Search Tips

After attending a series of national demonstrations, we discovered that a number of family historians had hit a brick wall looking for relatives. We were able to help by showing them a few of handy tricks … for searching the website:

1. Do not put too much information into your search. Too much information can
      put too strict a limit on the search results. Instead of William George Frank Hays just try William Hays.
    2. Use a wild card. When variations in spelling can occur a wild card (%) allows a wider search within controlled parameters i.e M%clean will give both Maclean and Mclean.
    3. Try name abbreviations i.e. Wm rather than William or Jas for James. Other common abbreviations are Geo, Hy, Mgt, Robt, Edwd, Jno, Chs, Chas, Tho, Thos, Alfd etc
    4. Use surname only. Forenames might have been abbreviated (see above), initialled, or in some cases completely unrecorded.
    5. Search maiden name. In Scottish records ladies are frequently recorded under their maiden name rather than married name. In other cases records contain Nee or AKA so Mary Smith Nee Hays or Mary Smith AKA Hays.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1