1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Births/Deaths

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by SteveW, Dec 22, 2014.

1. SteveW

SteveW LostCousins Member

Selecting this tab seems to crash FTA

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Births/Deaths tab works just fine for me using FTA v4.1.1.4 to show Loose Births and Loose Deaths. Can you give some more information about your data/environment?

3. SteveW

Win7 V4.1.1.4

Gedcom from full export from RootsMagic.

There are a few ca. dates in the gedcom which FTA doesn't seem to like on loading but it did work OK in previous versions.

Just crashes when I select the Births/Deaths tab.

Error is:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The added or subtracted value results in an un-representable. Date Time Parameter name: months."

I'm guessing that a calculation fails somewhere though I would expect it to handle ca. dates as this is a fairly standard way of adding an approximation.

Everything else seems to work OK.

Steve

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It could be the circa dates it doesn't like, is circa in the gedcom standard?

5. SteveW

Right, That was a bit of a mission!! ive change all the circa date to abt dates which in the gedcom standard and fixed a couple of others.

Still crashes with the same error

Here's the gedcom stats on load. I can't see anything that should generate an error unless it doesn't like the unknown fact types though I would expect it to just skip them?

Steve
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loading file C:\Users\User\Desktop\FT Analyzer.ged
    Loaded 36 sources.
    Loaded 3839 individuals.
    Loaded 1124 families.
    Added 1 lone individuals as single families.

Calculating Relationships using I1: Stephen Nicholas Wright as root person. Please wait

Direct Ancestors : 480
    Blood Relations : 1260
    Married to Blood or Direct Relation : 344
    Related by Marriage : 1406
    Unknown relation : 349

Found 1362 census facts in GEDCOM File (1362 good, 1362 usable facts loaded)
    Found 17 residence facts in GEDCOM File (5 treated as Census facts) 1 warnings (data tolerated),
    Found 753 Lost Cousins facts in GEDCOM File (753 good, 753 usable facts loaded)

Found 3 facts of unknown fact type AHNENTAFEL
    Found 2 facts of unknown fact type ILLNESS
    Found 6 facts of unknown fact type MISC

Found 1947 locations in file.
    0 are GEDCOM/User Entered and have been geocoded.
    0 are GEDCOM/User Entered but lack a Google Location.
    731 have a geocoding match from Google.
    63 have a geocoding match from Ordnance Survey.
    3 have a fuzzy geocoding match from Ordnance Survey.
    301 have partial geocoding match from Google.
    139 have partial geocoding match at lower level of detail.
    360 have partial geocoding match from Ordnance Survey.
    0 found by Google but outside country boundary.
    0 marked as incorrect by user.
    16 could not be found on Google.
    334 haven't been searched. Use the 'Run Google/OS Geocoder' option (under Maps menu) to find them.

6. Tim

Well yours look very similar to mine, so therefore it must be something else.

What version of .net do you have?

7. SteveW

Looks like its Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.1

AFAIK everything is completely up to date via Windows Update

Steve

8. Tim

Hi Steve, just re-read your initial post.

So the error is in the months then? Under the Export Tab, you can download the Loose Births and Loose Deaths to Excel.

If you filter, then you should find a month/s that may have been misspelt?

9. SteveW

OK getting closer, The Births won't export giving the same error, The deaths seep to be OK. I'll need to work through the list and try and find the crook one.

Thanks for the help

Steve

10. SteveW

Right, all sorted, Seems the error was in a date format. 1783/4 is not a valid gedcom date. From date to date also has issues and has to be bet date and date to work. Maybe I just don't get the def in the gedcom spec though as that seems to imply it should be OK.

Seems one needs to really watch how things get entered if you want to use a gedcom at any stage even though the software you are using will accept a format that is suspect.

Thanks once again for all the help folks - much appreciated!!

Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tim

Great news Steve. You're right, a lot of Family History programs are flexible in what they'll allow you to enter, but it is always worth having in the back of your mind what is in the gedcom standard. Using BEFore and BETween for example makes more sense to use than each of us inventing our own logic.

And obviously programs like FTA have to rely on everyone using the same standard so that it can work out what's going on in your tree.

12. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Can you post an example GEDCOM snippet of a date that causes a crash please. I suspect that it's not actually the date itself but as you indicated the calculation of something when it generates the tab. If you have a small GEDCOM file that gives this error that you could post to me it would be appreciated. I can then find where the error occurs and add extra code to prevent the crash.

13. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

From date to date is a valid format and should work. Can you give an example of when that didn't work please. ALL failed date conversions should be displayed as the file loads.

The program has around 100 methods to analyse and convert a massive list of possible date formats it's doesn't just rigidly stick to the GEDCOM format. Every time it encounters an error in the date routine it SHOULD spit out an error to the log screen. The date errors get checked and displayed during the initial loading.

The separate error of clicking on the birth tab isn't so much to do with dates as a bad calculation in the birth code that it causing months to go negative or to go more than 12. I'm not sure where that calc could be or how that could happen so test data would be required to assist debugging. The births tab does lots of comparisons of a large range of dates to try to see if there are any obvious date errors. Born after death for instance. Clearly there is a circumstance in your tree that caused the calculations to fail. I'd be keen to find out why it failed and fix it for a future version.