1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Birthplace search on Ancestry

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by palfamily, Oct 2, 2018.

1. palfamily

palfamily LostCousins Member

I have discovered that when I do a birthplace search for my DNA matches I can’t enter the town of Holywell in Flintshire. The search box always defaults to Holywell Common, Flintshire, this is only a park in Holywell which nobody would use as a birth location. The main Ancestry search facility in quite happy to accept Holywell, Flintshire. Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Is there a way of asking Ancestry to address the problem?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I can't get plain Holywell, Flintshire to show up in the drop-down with any of the searches I've tried, not just in the DNA section. Which data sets are you able to get it to show up in?

You can ask Ancestry to address a problem by contacting them via the Help section, or you can phone them, although they may not be in any hurry to actually do anything.

Before contacting them make sure you have tried different browsers, and cleared cookies and history, as this will be their default response unless you tell them you've already done this.

3. palfamily

palfamily LostCousins Member

That’s odd I’ve just found the same as you that Holywell, Flintshire is not allowed in any searches. It’s a place I’ve regularly searched for in the past so they must have changed their database.

4. Pauline

There are other places I can’t get to show up in the drop-down menu such as Box in Wiltshire and Cam in Gloucestershire.

And I also have problems when searching in Derbyshire records as one parish where I have ancestors appears in the drop-down as Aston-on-Trent but in the parish register set as Aston Upon Trent. Searching using the version from the drop-down gets no results!

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I found the same problem but got around it by typing Flintshire in the search box, then "Flintshire, Wales" appears in the drop box, click on that then insert "Holywell' in front of Flintshire, then "Holywell, Flintshire, Wales" appears in the drop down box, click on that and away you go.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't work for me (using Chrome). Indeed, most of the time when I try to type the 'H' the existing entry disappears.

7. Pauline

I think it may depend on where you do it. In some searches it works for me but when searching DNA matches it doesn’t.