1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Belgium - surname distribution

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TimE, Sep 6, 2014.

1. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

Here's a site giving Belgian surname distribution info for 1998 and 2008.

It's in Dutch!

Click on "Zoek je familienaam" and type the name.
    It seems to expect the first letter to be uppercase.

Tim

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

They would probably say it was in Flemish:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

There are not many words so it's difficult to decide!

Er zijn niet veel woorden. Het is niet gemakkelijk te kiezen.;)

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Impressive, Tim, is that you or a computer-translate?

Actually, in my humble experience, the difference is less that regional variations of (educated) English (i.e. not dialect) The one that springs to mind is that 'schoon' means 'beautiful' to the Flemish and 'clean' to the Dutch. Make of that what you will

5. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

Two years of Dutch lessons a long time ago in the Flemish city of Antwerp. Then back to UK. Now back in Belgium but Wallonia not Flanders.