1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Barely decipherable signature

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Jeremy Wilkes, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Jeremy Wilkes

Jeremy Wilkes LostCousins Star

A few months ago the quarterly marriage return for my parish had to show the signatures of two witnesses as "[Illegible]". I could make no sense of either, despite some experience of poor writing in registers and records, as well as my own (but at least my signature is legible). The Team Vicar, who signed the return, had taken up office after the ceremonies, and could not assist with reading, as she is registered as blind. Of course those who wish to take up the challenge can still look at the original register, or perhaps eventually a facsimile.