1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Australian Electoral Roll Collection at Ancestry

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by VTinOZ, Nov 19, 2018.

1. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

The 1903 Electoral Rolls for NSW are available to browse at Ancestry. To do so one needs to select the District & then sub-district. The district of North Sydney is not included in the drop down list so cannot be selected.
    Does anyone know why this would be? or is it that Ancestry does not have these records?

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Did that district exist in 1903?

I presume that the districts refer to the electorates in which people vote. Those change all the time since they are based on population size. Thus, if North Sydney was not large enough during 1903, then it would not exist until there were the correct number of people in that area.

3. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Yes North Sydney ERs exist, I have the records from other sources which state North Sydney, polling place Crows Nest. I just can't find them on Ancestry so wondered if anyone knew why they're not there.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

According to the card catalogue entry for the Electoral Roll it seems that it not complete database of what is around. At the bottom of that page it lists the states and years that are available - for example South Australia only has two years available before 1943 and nothing prior to 1939.

According to that same piece of information, the 1903-1904 Electoral Roll for NSW isn't transcribed, so there's a possibility they don't even know that North Sydney is missing, or possibly mis-labelled.

5. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

I've asked Ancestry so maybe an explanation will arrive eventually... not holding breath.

6. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

I've found several districts missing in various electoral rolls in Ancestry's collection, to my dismay. Obviously, Ancestry can only work with the electoral rolls made available to them. Hopefully, Ancestry will continue to search for the missing districts/years - but I'm also not holding my breath!!

• Agree Agree x 1