1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Assistance needed with 1841 census

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Margery, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I am taking advantage of Ancestry's free weekend hoping to add some more ancestors from 1841 census. However, I cannot find the folio no. and am wondering if someone could have a look for me. The details are the entries for Joseph Kingsnorth and his family and Robert Moore and his family who lived next door in Lisson Street, Marylebone. There is the number 14 on the right hand side of the page, presumably the page number but I just can't seem to locate anything that resembles the folio no.
    These gentlemen are both my g.g.grandfathers and I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Highgrove

Highgrove Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Hi Margery,

Piece 677
    Book 3
    Folio 13
    Page No 21

Hope this helps.

Shirley

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Martin C

Martin C LostCousins Member

1841 folio numbers refer to the two sides of a sheet of paper. The Folio number for your page 21 (and page 20) is 13. The number 14 you see on the right hand side is for page 22 (and page 23). Where can I find the 1841 census references? in FAQs probably explains this more clearly than I have.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Good tip Good tip x 1
  4. MaryL

MaryL Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

I have found the census on ancestry, and the folio number is 13. It does not appear, as far as I can see, on the image, but is included in the transcription.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Margery

Very many thanks to you all. You are right, Mary, I was looking at the image. I do appreciate the assistance given by fellow forum members.
    It's a beautiful autumn morning here, sunny, but with a little chill in the air:).

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Welcome to the forum Martin C.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely correct - for 1841 it's best to take all of the information from the image if you possibly can (though in this case you may need some help from the transcription to get the names right). Martin C's tip about reading the FAQ is spot on.

8. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I also took advantage, and found my GG GF's much older half brother William (b 1772) , with his daughter Ann and her family. Much to my surprise, I found William's wife Frances with their daughter Elizabeth and HER family. I can only wonder the set up. Perhaps William and Frances usually lived with Ann, but Frances was visiting Elizabeth? Perhaps each daughter had taken on responsibility for one parent*? Perhaps they usually lived as a couple but had chosen that night to each visit one daughter??? Any other theories?

(One son in law was a blacksmith, the other a farmer so I would guess that they could have afforded to support both parents if needed - and William was down as an Ag Lab, so not apparently dependent on anyone.)

9. Margery

Even so, houses were small and families were large so possibly there just wasn't room to accommodate both parents. I have heard of children having to sleep with a granddparent.

10. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In the book I'm currently reading (about life in the East End) the author talks about an instance where 5 families were living in one room - one in each corner and one in the middle!

11. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It's just so hard to imagine.

12. JeanetteR

JeanetteR New Member

The information you need for the 1841 census is Archive No. HO 107 piece No. 677 Book No.3 Folio No. 13 and Page No. 21.

Best Wishes
    Jeanette

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  13. annetteclaire

annetteclaire Member

I believe I have just read the same book Peter. It was one you recommended!