1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"Application cannot be started" Help please

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Jan, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

I get ther following message when trying to start up FTA
    "Application cannot be started.Contact the application vendor"
    I have tried to download FTA again and to uninstall the programme but the same thing keeps happening.
    Help please!

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Jan, is this the first time you have used the program? What version were you using before if not?

Bear in mind that you can't download the program and install it, clicking the download button will AUTO install it. So if you are having problems then you have to uninstall any old version BEFORE you download the latest. If you have clicked the download button and you still have an old version installed then it won't work.

However the simplest is usually to just start the program it then checks the website and auto updates if there is a new version. Once you have installed the program you should never need to click the download button again. It may be that simply starting the program will fix the issue automatically?

3. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

I have been using it for a while and when starting up tonight it updated to the newest version.The opening page appeared briefly and then disappeared and the error message appeared.When I try to uninstall ,it says "Launching application" and doesn't uninstall it and then the error message appears!
    I think I'll switch it all off ,go to bed and try again tomorrow!

4. Alexander Bisset

After you switch back on the machine go straight to the control panel and uninstall before visiting the website this should ensure that the program is removed completely. Then when you visit the website it should update smoothly. If you don't uninstall from the control panel (either via add/remove programs if you are still on XP or via Programs and features if you are on Vista/Win7/Win8) then starting the program when it has got into that state will give you the error you describe.

Starting the program by it's shortcut icon or via download button on website doesn't uninstall the program first and then update it. So you have to manually remove it to fix this issue. Let me know if you still have issues once you have uninstalled it manually before ever visiting the website.

5. Jan

Jan LostCousins Member

Thanks Alexander, for your help.
    I have justy got in from a day at Register House, switched on the computer, uninstalled the old version, installed the new and it works perfectly!
    Thank you.

6. Alexander Bisset

Good to hear, hope you enjoy the new mapping feature.