1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Anna Giblett 1812-1850 and DNA research.

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by kiwilong, Mar 10, 2019.

1. kiwilong

kiwilong LostCousins Member

I have a conundrum which over the years many people have tried hard to assist me in finding a solution to, including on this forum. The details of my brick wall are to be found in my post of 2016.
    However, just recently I purchased an Ancestry DNA test with the idea of solving my brick wall.
    I have read and tried to understand Peter's master class and in particular followed his suggestion of how to get the best from my results.
    The name "Giblett"is sufficiently rare and when entered into the surname search box I am rewarded with 5 hits, two of which are the same tree and in fact this tree includes Anna's supposed grandparents, Jacob and Martha Giblett. The other 3 people all confirm their relationship to a Giblett family of Meare or at least Somerset.
    So, I share some DNA with 5 other people all of whom have a possible connection to Anna's supposed family and as I am descended from Anna herself ,it's easy to jump to the conclusion that Anna is a blood relative of the Giblett's of Meare, problem solved after all those years, BUT!! is it?
    My bit of shared DNA I suppose could be through a different family line and if there were only one hit might be a possibility but with 5 separate people am I right to now close the case of Anna's ancestry?
    I would be happy to hear any thoughts and opinions.
    Cheers.
    kiwilong.

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I think you would have to check the ThruLines beta and see if that lines up your Anna Giblett with those other five who have Giblett ancestors. But I would probably consider that justifiable evidence to presume that these are confirmation of Anna Giblett.

I have used DNA in a similar manner to confirm my Scottish Umpherston relatives - who I was originally skeptical of because while my ancestor had emigrated to Australia, his grandfather had emigrated to Canada, and I found this strange. An early DNA match, from a cousin descended from my ancestor's Great Uncle, who had also emigrated to Canada, confirmed that particular pair of ancestors on my tree.
    ThruLines then links another 4 cousins who are descended from that emigrant Ancestor, 3 from another branch of the tree separate from mine and that of the emigrating Great Uncle.

3. kiwilong

kiwilong LostCousins Member

Thank you Jorghes.
    I hadn't looked at ThruLines beta, the last time I looked at that bit of the page it was DNA circles.
    So I had a look and it includes Anna's sister, Martha, whose line I'm very familiar with as she married a chap with whom she emigrated to Tasmania and their son eventually crossed the Tasman and became a very prominent figure in New Zealand and was a member of parliament in Wellington for 4 terms. A lady who is descended from Martha has taken the DNA test and is a match with me apparently.
    So that wraps it up for me I think as the only way I can have a DNA match with Martha is through Anna.
    Thank you for drawing my attention to this new Ancestry feature.
    Regards.
    Geoff.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

No problem at all Geoff, I think that's a nice ending for you!