1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry users what do you think of your new Home page?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, May 11, 2022.

1. The questions are along the lines of those standard things banks do, such as how satisfied are you with Ancestry's service or based on your experience today how likely are you to recommend Ancestry to others and rate it from 1 to 10 and tick the circles accordingly.
    I don't have an example to show.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ancestry generally introduce features to a small subset of the membership in order to gauge their reaction, although for practical reasons these trials are often limited to Ancestry.com

They're also focusing more on the app because this makes it easier for users to show relatives what they've discovered, or to add photos. And let's face it, the younger generation spend more time on their smartphones than they do in front of a computer.

These changes to the home page don't worry me, nor do they seem to worry the vast majority of Ancestry users - all of the feedback I've had about the new home page has come from a small number of people on this forum.

3. How do you know about what worries the millions of Ancestry users if the only feedback you have is from this Forum?
    Which feed back from this Forum, the good or the bad?

4. peter

The fact that I haven't had any emails at all about this issue from the 99.9% of LostCousins members who either don't belong to this forum, or aren't following this forum discussion, suggests that the vast majority either haven't noticed the change or aren't particularly concerned about it.

5. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Just as a note for something different (and possibly something that will be seen more often) - I was just on a person page on Ancestry and there is a new bar that appears above the Facts timeline for those people on your tree with hints.

The first time I saw it, it looked almost as if it took up a quarter of the size of my window... it can be minimised, but still look invasive. So far it doesn't appear for those on your tree who have no hints. It's simply there to direct you to the hints it seems.

Feels more annoying than a homepage I don't use.

6. peter

I'm not seeing that at either Ancestry.co.uk or Ancestry.com - you may be in some sort of trial, in which case it's doubly important to provide feedback to Ancestry.

Perhaps you could provide an anonymised screenshot so we all know what to look for?

7. jorghes

Sure, no worries. Here are two shots of a current person page for me, with the hint panel both maximised and minimised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Jorghes, I'll look out for that when I have some hints on my tree. ;)

9. Just how many times do we need to be told we have Hints. Just looking at the list of Hints or at the Hints tab is sufficient, isn't it??!!

10. I am looking at a person who has 12 Hints and I am not getting the New family members indicator.

How come you don't have any Hints, I have literally thousands.

11. peter

I suspect this change is to bring the desktop version of the site into line with the app, so that people who move between one and the other have a better experience.

Is there anyone on this forum who uses the app?

12. Not me.

13. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I don't use the app, but I've just been on it, it took about 10 mins to load my tree, and it looks nothing like the pc version.
    If people are using their phones to build their tree then no wonder some trees are so bad, I would image it's better on an iPad.

14. I seem to remember a time when Peter was advising against using a phone for building a family tree (I know he'll correct me if I'm wrong). From what Tim has said, It seems he was wise to do so.

15. peter

I advise against building online trees at all (except for beginners) - every serious family historian should have a tree program on their own computer, and this should be their main repository.

But apps are a great way to show family members what you've done, and there are times when a smartphone is more convenient for capturing information, especially images. I've only used the Ancestry app to capture photos - that worked well (provided they weren't organised higgledy-piggledy on the album pages).

16. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

So you won't be going to Trustpilot to add to their 68% EXCELLENT reviews (Ancestry Co.UK but Com. similar)or even 10% GREAT for both; so close on 80% favourable. This leaves Average, 5%, Poor 4% and Bad 13% (slightly higher for Com). Not sure what this says for Trustpilot reviews mind?

One can filter the reviews...Site, Service, Customer Service even Issues but if it clear the majority are favourable. At the end of the day it is about numbers and apart from 'Issues' nothing about not listening to Users. But clearly a numbers game, and until the pro comments drop, Ancestry will take little notice.

17. peter

18. What's that and where is the link to it?

19. jorghes

I use the app, I like it for trying to trawl through hints and add information from them, it has about 3 less steps/window loads than the website, which can make it much easier for adding the sources and moving on (it doesn't load mutual family trees hints, which is probably a good thing, but you have to go in to Ancestry to ignore them)
    I also have a tendency to add information about deaths, births and marriages (usually deaths) to my Ancestry tree via my phone app when I hear about them - usually when I don't have easy access to my laptop. I've unfortunately had to do it several times in the last couple of weeks after the deaths of my last great-aunt (at 97) and one cousin who recently died from cancer after only a short period of time.

The app doesn't have that hints bar, and I haven't seen it on either my iPad version or my iPhone version (those images came from the website on my iPad not the app). It does load a home page not dissimilar to the new website one - it has all the same links, but they're much further down the scroll. I don't spend a lot of time on the homepage (again), so I usually don't get past the advertisements at the top and their "daily picks" for me, most of which I ignore.

The way it deals with hints looks very different from the website, but it's still a "check box" system, but it doesn't deal very well with adding sources to a marriage fact you already have in your tree. The person page is slightly different, you have to swipe to move through the "life story", "sources", "family", "gallery" and "notes" which are all set up like different panels.

I find that the tree itself looks very similar to the website version - although it's still using the "tear drop" shape for the photos and hasn't started compacting second marriages like the website. It's relatively easy to scroll (since it's touch, not mouse) and reasonably easy to use when you get use to it.

I will agree with Tim, swopping between big trees or trying to initially load a large tree onto the app takes forever - or at least it used to. I swopped between a tree I was creating for a friend (and it was quite small) and my enormous tree, and it didn't take forever to load mine. But then I think it's getting around that by not loading everything on your tree. Some of the people on your tree don't really appear properly, but rather as greyed out boxes.

I'm happy to take screenshots of the app to illustrate anything if needed.

20. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I don't use the app Peter.