1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry transcriptions for people born in Derby

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Jean999, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

Has anyone else had problems searching on Ancestry for people born in Derby?

I eventually realised that many of the entries (where the image clearly shows they were born in Derby) have had the birthplace transcribed as Derbyshire. I assume this is because the place Derby and the county Derbyshire can both be written as Derby.

I hope that this tip may help other people find their relatives a bit more easily.

2. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

The problem isn't just a Derby/Derbyshire one, e.g. sometimes places in the west of Yorkshire are listed as Yorkshire, sometimes as West Riding of Yorkshire etc. If you aren't finding what you want, try omitting the place of birth. As they say, sometimes less is more.

3. Shirleyanne

Shirleyanne New Member

In some Ancestry transcriptions, I have found that Birmingham is in the county of Yorkshire! So yes, less is more.