1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Subs

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Tonycornish, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Tonycornish

Tonycornish LostCousins Member

The other day my yearly subs were due, I live in New Zealand but my subs are paid to the US site, I have World Explorer Membership but the site was showing the following year would be World plus membership at a cost of nearly 100 dollars more, for this I could search all US newspapers, not a lot of use to me and not worth 100 dollars more, I tried many ways of reverting to my old world membership the site would not allow that which I thought rather highhanded, in fact I was so annoyed that I cancelled my membership, stating why in no uncertain terms, when I went on to the nest step, I was offered 6 months World Explorer Membership with the cost about half of my normal yearly subs, I took this offer. when checking the next day when the last year was due to expire the accounts page showed that I was now able to upgrade to a full year of World Explorer Membership , which I did, but I still feel annoyed at the way ancestry tried to upgrade with no consultation and made it hard to change.
    has anyone else had this problem

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Why subscribe to the US site at all when the UK site is a lot cheaper (as I've pointed out in my newsletter on many occasions)?

3. Tonycornish

That is a good point, I have been with the US site for over 10 years, but I can everything I have on the US site can be linked to UK ancestry if I were to change, if so I will check it out next year, I have checked out the rates now and for me it would have saved about 40 dollars (NZ) with current exchange rates

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If the subscription prices and exchange rates don't change you'll save even more - the cost of a World subscription is currently £135.13 (NZ$264) for those who don't live in Europe (the published prices include VAT at 15%).

5. Tonycornish

Well worth the change, I will definitely look closer next year, I should have taken notice of your newsletters and looked into this year, I had forgotten about the VAT, a few years ago the UK site was the dearer one.