1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry prices

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by sunflower, Jul 31, 2016.

1. sunflower

sunflower LostCousins Member

My subscription to Ancestry is due in 3 weeks time. I currently have worldwide access but have thought to cancel that part and just take up the premium subscription. Problem is, I cannot find a price for Premium subscriptions. Does anyone know where I will find it please? The World wide access is going to cost me £179.99 and I want to know if it is worth downgrading to Premium and taking up the worldwide sub of £132.09 with FMP as I already have the Britain access at £98.96 (last year's price).

FMP seems to be quite a bit cheaper and as I have gleaned as much as I can from Ancestry for my family, I wonder if FMP will have other information that I do not already have from Ancestry.

Anyone any experience with FMP World information?

Elizabeth

2. MaryL

MaryL Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Premium subscription to ancestry is £119.99 for 12 months. I am told that it is possible to negotiate a discount if you phone them and say that you want to cancel your sub.

I have a worldwide sub to FMP. My favourite record sets are the 1939 register and the Irish prison records. Of course, it all depends on where your ancestors lived, and what they did.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I too have a FMP World subscription which was renewed at huge discount last November. The offer was sent to me from findmypast.com (ie US/Canada) without any prompting from me. I haven't noticed any difference from my original UK subscription except frequent emphasis about added US datasets which are not really relevant to me. Access to UK records and rest of World is exactly the same as before, as often mentioned by Peter in his newsletter.

I also get access to Ancestry 'free' of charge via my local lending library here in NZ. I joined the on-line service (accessed from home) when I realised that I was already paying as a mandatory part of my rates bill. I would suggest that is something that everybody should enquire about before they pay for an additional subscription.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I know in Kent in the UK you can certainly use your local Library Computer service which allows you access to the internet and free access to genealogical sites like Ancestry (and possibly FMP). All you need is to have a Library ID PIN CODE which is free issued to local residents when they register to take out books, CD's & DVD's. However the computer service is only available 'in-situ' and our local (small) Library has 4 PC's available for use.

I do not use the service but a neighbour who does (but not for genealogical research) tells me that unless she gets there early more often than not the available computers are all taken. She was however told when she last had to wait that she could have reserved a computer time slot (one hour) by phone or online.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. sunflower

Thank you all for your replies; I have found them very helpful.

I now know the cost of the Premium sub which is quite a lot cheaper than the World sub with Ancestry. Even if I go with FMP World when my FMP Britain renewal time arrives in October as well as Ancestry Premium, I will still be making a saving and perhaps the opportunity to access different information.

As I live in SW France my local library is not an option as it is very small and does not have computers for the public but I know it is a very good service for those living in UK having made use of it in the past.

Perhaps if I leave upgrading FMP until very close to the renewal date, I might be lucky and get an offer like Bryman!! I will certainly give Ancestry a call (if I can find the number) and see if I can negotiate a better price as a 10 year customer having spent well over a thousand pounds with them.

Thanks again for your help. I knew I could count on Lost Cousin members to help.

Elizabeth

6. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

You could consider upgrading to FMP worldwide now- the cost would be calculated on a pro rata basis so may not be too great.

7. sunflower

I had thought to do that trebor, but have decided to wait until October when I renew as I have a lot of things on my plate at the moment. I am hoping that all my visitors will have finished by then and that I will have my afternoons free again to do as I please.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Similar situation to me Bryman, although the Irish records are part of the World sub. which I make use of.

9. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

An email from Ancestry says access to UK and Ireland records will be free over the Bank Holiday weekend.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  10. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

An email from Ancestry says there is free access this weekend.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  11. trebor

Whenever FMP give a free weekend they always add the days on to the expiry date of my subscription - I have never seen Ancestry do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

LostCousins doesn't do it either, I'm afraid.

13. trebor

But your charges are much lower and you give away so many other benefits that it is not so important

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1