1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Old search resurrected?

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

It is rare these days I change my details in Ancestry but I wanted to remove the 'shaky leaf' Hint Notification from one of my secondary Trees (researched for someone else who has since passed on) and went into 'Hint' Preferences. I duly removed the Hint notification and glanced down the page and found something I had not seen before under the heading Search Preferences.

Established Researchers will know that there was once a much loved Old Search until New Search took over. Now I believe it is possible to manually switch back and forth if you wish (I haven't tried of late as I always opt for New Search until it fails me -or I try Find my Past ) but here it offered a tick box labelled "Use category exact mode (simulates old search)" It further explained "Simulates old search by defaulting to required matches on all four fields and displaying results in category view"

I have not opted to use this but perhaps others may well wish to do so. (Click on the green leaf symbol at the top and in the drop down box at the bottom go to Hint Preferences. Search Preferences is at the bottom of the page)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 4