1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry Ethnicity

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Lucy7, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Lucy7

Lucy7 LostCousins Member

Thank you Peter for the update about Ancestry's new Ethnicity. I have had a look at mine, and I can not see how it has or can help me with my father, and mother.
    Both my Parent 1, and Parent 2 are all the same colour, yellow, just like my complete circle, and both parents are showing 50%
    I wonder if I will ever be able to separate my parents DNA/Ethnicity! being in my 80's, parents died before DNA testing, no siblings either.

Attached Files:

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I have just looked at this and find it very interesting.

Unlike Peter, my Scottish percentage has gone down considerably - from 23% to 7%, which is reassuring as I don't know of any Scottish ancestry, except for possibly my Irish-born great-great-grandfather. It has also placed this 7% all on my mother's side, and it is her great-grandfather who is my 'Irish' brick wall, so perhaps he is the one with Scottish ancestry.

My 'England and Northwest Europe' percentage has also gone up from 64% to 83% (with 'Northwest England and Isle of Man' as my community) which is more what I'd expect from my known ancestors.

The other interesting thing is that my son is showing as having 16% Scottish ancestry, all inherited from me, and 30% Welsh, all inherited from his father. The latter is correct, as my husband is half Welsh (his mother having virtually no English ancestry), but I wonder how the Scottish % could have increased from me to my son?

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I looked at it as well, but am not sure which parent is which, since one quarter of my ancestry is completely unknown. Percentages stayed the same except that England and Northwestern Europe went from 61% to 65%. Scotland is still 25%; parent 1 says 17 and parent 2 just 8, but I have no information at all regarding anyone originating from there. Regarding England parent 1 is 25%, parent 2 is 40%. Since I have more information regarding my mother's side of the family, would I consider parent 2 to be hers?

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I don’t have the problem of a missing near ancestor in my family, nor do I have Lucy7’s issue, but I nevertheless can’t work out which of my parents is which from these ethnicity estimates.

5. JimP

JimP LostCousins Member

As to the ethnicity estimates, my percentage of English/Northwest Europe has gone down substantially. Appearing for the first time are France (4%) and Germanic Europe (2%); Norway reappears (2% in my original estimate, 0% in the previous analysis, and back to 2% now); and there are slight increases in Wales, Ireland, and Sweden/Denmark.

Ancestry estimate: 53% English/NWEurope, 14% Wales, 11% Scotland, 10% Ireland, 4% Sweden/Denmark, 4% France, 2% Germanic, 2% Norway

Predicted: 12.5 % East Anglia; 12.5% Wales, 25% Yankee (mostly English from 17th century immigrants, with bits of Scots, Irish, and some unknown), 50% Mid-Atlantic (mix of English, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Palatinate German, other Germanic, Swedish)

What really interests me is the SideView, and I can easily tell that "Parent 1" is my father -- all the Welsh is on that side, which corresponds with my Welsh great-grandmother . All of the French and Germanic DNA is on the "Parent 2" side, which corresponds with my documented Palatinate line and another newly discovered NPE line with German names.

What I am really looking forward to, as with Peter, is the ability to identify my DNA matches with one parent or the other. I currently have a large group of matches whom I cannot identify, and who are matches with each other. Most of their trees also do not share any geographical proximity to any of my identified ancestors. So if I can match them with one side of my tree, I can at least start to narrow down where they might fit in.

6. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I thought this was interesting since I am lucky enough to have my parents already tested (and for that matter, my paternal grandmother who is still with us at, my father says "98 and a half").

Plus, I am lucky enough to have distinguishable ethnicities on both sides of the family to make it distinguishable. For example, for my results, Parent 1 is my father (as he has the Jewish side) and Parent 2 is my mother - due to the large Welsh ethnicity. My father's is equally easy - the European Jewish is his mother, which makes her Parent 2, without that, it would be hard to tell the difference as the other ancestors on my father's side are both Scottish and English... For my paternal grandmother, it again splits - her father is Parent 2 (with all the Scottish) and her mother Parent 1 (with all the Jewish!).

As for my mother's results - her parents were each Welsh and English, so it's really difficult to tell with her results which Parent is her father and which was her mother, and the three differing sets - Irish, Norse and Scottish - I have no idea where any of those might have appeared on my mother's tree, so it's no help whatsoever. But at the same time, I have confirmed DNA matches on both sides of her family - although I'm still missing the father for our illegitimate line, but this isn't going to help!

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm hoping that at some point Ancestry will give the same detailed breakdown for the two parents as they do for overall ethnicity.

8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

What is this if not a detailed breakdown for each parent?

upload_2022-4-19_16-9-27.jpeg

In my case I know the Irish contingent is wholly paternal, so parent 1 is my father.

Attached Files:

9. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

The "standard" version is more detailed, giving some "sub-areas" :-
    pic17.jpg

My assumption is the list is ordered by percentage.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1