1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry don't send to Portugal

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by youngros, Oct 23, 2021.

1. youngros

youngros LostCousins Member

From Peter's latest newsletter, he writes " it surprises me that there are still a significant minority of experienced researchers who aren’t prepared to make use of such a valuable tool " But that doesn't take into account those of us who can't get an Ancestry DNA test done because Ancestry don't send to their country.
    As far as I am aware it is not illegal in Portugal and I think MyHeritage do. I don't have a tree on MyHeritage, although have their software on my PC as it allowed the conversion of an old FTM backup file to a GED file.
    Everyone seems to say, if you are going to get a test done, then Ancestry's is the one to go to first. I have a sister in the UK who may or may not take a test and she also has to set up an Ancestry account etc and that is probably where it will all fail.
    I would love to get a test done but seemingly it is not going to be that easy. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to go forward with this, they would be much appreciated.
    Rosalind

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There are many countries that Ancestry don't ship to - different countries have different rules and regulations, not just regarding DNA testing, but also what you can send through the post.

Rather than waste your money on the wrong test, get someone in the UK to order the test on your behalf - or even better, ask your sister to test on your behalf. You could set up her Ancestry account yourself, I would have thought.

PS your LostCousins account shows you as living in the UK - please update your My Details page.

3. uncle024

uncle024 LostCousins Star

I am wondering if its to do with the fact that they provide pre-paid return postage to Dublin? Maybe with your sisters help in UK you could come up with a creative solution.

4. youngros

youngros LostCousins Member

I don't think Portugal do as they do the MyHeritage one, unlike France where it is illegal!

Ancestry got back to me and said someone could buy the kit in the UK for me, they would need a free account, and then bring it out for me. I just register the code to my account. There should be no problem in posting it back to Dublin for the results and happy to pay for registered post.

The second option I got from FB from someone in Spain, was to order the kit from Amazon Germany, official kit, and then send it to Dublin which is probably what I will do, seems the easiest solution without involving anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2