1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry DNA test activation

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I was a bit perturbed to see in today's newsletter that Ancestry have just changed their procedures for activating a DNA test, so that all adult testers now have to set up their own account to activate a test. I was just about to activate a test for another family member on our account, having assured them when they agreed to do the test for me, that they did not need to have their own account and I could manage everything for them through our account.

I can't help feeling that this change may make it harder to persuade some relatives, perhaps particularly elderly or super-busy relatives, to agree to take a test.

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I saw that and honestly thought that I was glad that I'd gotten my immediate family done - but I was considering asking my grandmother to attempt it, but at 94, she's not going to want to have to set up her own account - and she only uses a computer to type letters, which makes it almost pointless (in terms of Ancestry's new rules) to ask her - although not pointless in attempting to get her DNA in the first place.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I would have thought you could open an account on their behalf (as you might at LostCousins). You can always set up a Gmail account and arrange for mail to be forwarded to you.

My 90 year-old mother-in-law tested today.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

That was always on my mind, and if I did manage to get her to test, then that is most likely what I would do with the new scenario, previously, I would have just added her test to the ones I already have on my account.

Well done! I only have my grandmother left to test, all my other grandparents died before I got near thinking about family history (all of them were gone by the time I was 12) and I don't have a mother-in-law at this point in time.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

My relative's test is now activated, and once the free account was set up, it was pretty straightforward for me to become manager of the results by means of an invitation.

Having accepted the invitation, the test is now showing in my account just as if I'd activated it there, and I was able to link it to the relevant person in my tree.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Great - so it looks as if there aren't any significant disadvantages to these new arrangements.