1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry charged me even though I turned off auto

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by canadianbeth, Sep 26, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Last year, after I renewed for another year, I turned off the automatic renewal, as I always do. Imagine my surprise when I checked my cc and discovered that they had renewed me for another year, at the regular $299.88 price. When I look now, I cannot find anywhere the option to turn off automatic renewal. Am I to assume that now, after renewal, I am expected to click on the cancel membership link instead?
    I am extremely unhappy about this and have contacted them to let them know. I doubt it will help though, but everyone should check their accounts and make sure that they are not going to be charged for renewal unexpectedly.

2. For the past couple of years I have made a diary note to cancel my Ancestry sub a couple of days before it's due, rather than relying on removing my credit card details.
    I then re-join at the lower price that has been talked about in other discussions.
    I shall continue to do that while they charge such a high price. Can't ever seeing it come down anyway!

3. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

This happened to me a few years ago when I thought I had cancelled before the renewal was due. I contacted Ancestry & they refunded my fee. I rejoined later at a discounted rate. Hopefully, canadianbeth, you will receive a refund.

4. canadianbeth

I went to the site and cancelled my membership, but of course, it still runs until next September. I told them why I was cancelling; I had already done so with contact us earlier but decided telling them twice would not hurt. At my age, I cannot guarantee that I will still be here a year from now, or in a position to be still doing this, so turn off all automatic renewals for everything I can. I am sure I did so this time as well.

5. Fully understand your reasons.
    I've just had a look at the Support section in Ancestry and found this:
    Preventing automatic renewal
    Except for gift memberships, all memberships renew automatically unless they're cancelled. If you cancel during the refund period your membership will end immediately and will not renew. If you cancel outside of the refund period your membership will end at the end of your current period and will not renew.

Take a look at this long winded set of rules about subs and cancellations.
    I hope it doesn't send you blind:D

6. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I always get an email from Ancestry a month before my sub is due to expire, saying "your membership will be renewed soon." I take that as my cue to cancel.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It is many, many years since Ancestry have offered an automatic renewal option at their UK site. The only way to prevent your subscription renewing has been to cancel.

8. I probably do too, cannot remember as I'm about 6 months into my current year. I prefer to 'renew' on or about actual renewal date, if I don't make a diary note I forget!

9. canadianbeth

I have had a reply to my message to Ancestry and they are refunding my $$. It took yet another message for them to do so, but I am happy, or will be when I see the credit on my cc. My membership is cancelled. I may or may not re-subscribe if a discount is offered, but not at present.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1