1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry changes to Gedcom downloads

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by Bob Spiers, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

For a reason best known to themselves Ancestry have changed the mode for exporting and downloading a Gedcom file. Previously it was as near to ABC as you could get once you had entered the 'Manage your Tree' section, selected 'Export Tree' (it would activate with 'Generating Gedcom file') when complete it would show as 'Download your GEDCOM file'.

Once clicked it would either request a name under which to save it or -if as in my case it was additional to many saved before- it would enter the previous name (eg Spiers-10) which I would update to (say) Spiers-11. It would then be filed as such under DOWNLOADS (or the file of your choice). Exporting this to another database, either on your PC or (say) Genes , was a simple matter of selecting the file and importing it to its new location. Easy Peasy!:)

Although it is not something I do that often -about every 3 months or so - the procedure is well known to me. However this time surprisingly it did not request a file name and merely opened under a new tab in my browser as a Gedcom in text format! I am no stranger to a text format Gedcom but it is not what I expected, not what I wanted -for one it is not a saved 'ged' file - and more to the point it was a deviation from previous practice.

I tried again in another of my Ancestry Tree's with the same end result -a text format Gedcom. I could save the html browser link of course, but I wanted it saved as a 'ged file' on my PC without recourse to IT 'wizardry pokery'. So here for the benefit of others who may find themselves in the same situation is the solution.

When you get to the 'Download your Gedcom file' RIGHT click on it and select from the Menu 'Save target as' option. This will open displaying your customary Download folder and request a file name (and suggest a previous file name if applicable). Name the file and 'hey presto' you have a saved Ged file for conventional export.

I shall be contacting Ancestry to vent my ire at the needless change; for all the good that will do. :mad:

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I've just tried it Bob.

It didn't request a file name.
    But it did download a gedcom file to my downloads folder.

I'm on the .co.uk site, maybe it was a transient issue. Try it again?

3. Bob Spiers

Thank you Tim, most interesting. I tried again and as far as I could see the same result until I spotted a stand alone Ged file. As I have a distinct naming process I could tell it was not one named by me as it was in lower case with just the 'bare-bones' name of my Tree. So you are right it did auto save to my downloads folder as well as showing in text format in a new browser window for whatever reason. (I am using IE10 by the way)

For reasons of my own I always keep the last half dozen Geds for each of my 3 Trees. Each has its own distinctive Tree name - Update name/number (I periodically add an update reference to the name) - and the suffix month of saving. So knowing there is an auto-save, I could rename the NEW Ancestry saved Ged to accord to my own filing nomenclature (nice word that):)

But what was wrong with the old method of asking me to confirm the name for the new Gedcom download? :mad: Thinking about it I will most likely 'Right' click and choose 'Save as' but should I forget, at least I now know to check the downloads folder and rename after the event. Thanks for you help.:cool:

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The issue Bob is describing is typical when Internet Explorer thinks it is the program that knows how to display a file. So instead of downloading it, it displays it. The solution is usually to ensure Internet Explorer is not running right click on a file you have previously saved with the .GED extension and select "Open with" the open it with a text editor or Family Tree program. Note before you click open remember to tick the box that says something about Always use this program in future (the text varies according to which version of windows you are using).

This will usually reset the program that "understands" the .GED file and stops IE from thinking it can just display it.

5. Bob Spiers

Yes it does seem to be an IE trait as you describe. Shame because I actually like IE10 (not its predecessors) and Ancestry is set up on one my PC's to load in IE. But moving on I have followed your procedure and set GED's to always open on my PC in my main Genealogical database. (FTL but no matter).

Having deleted Ancestry's previous auto save (see my posting to Tim) I tried again and 'what do you know'; this time it actually gave me the option of OPEN or SAVE:) . So it is likely I am back as before and can now save to my own format in my download file. So thanks for the info Alexander:cool:

6. Alexander Bisset

Glad to be of assistance.

7. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

I too have had this problem on my new laptop (Windows 8), but I didn't find it in my download folder either.
    I haven't got a .ged file saved on it, so tried Alexander's fix using a saved tree on a USB stick (from my old Win XP desktop). However 'Open with' gave me a list of 'Apps' which I could choose from - none of which was appropriate!!
    It still downloads fine on the Win XP computer. I have sent the problem to Ancestry and await their response!

8. Alexander Bisset

When the "open with" gives a list of apps there is also a browse button so if its not on the list you can browse to where your family tree program is. This then gets added to the list and updates what a GEDCOM file looks for. Hope this helps.

9. Bob Spiers

I had actually prepared an answer the same as Alexander's about browsing to find your FT program, but spotted he had already offered the advice. The only other point I was going to ask was to check you actually had an FT program loaded on your W8 laptop? If not no amount of browsing will find it as the GED needs a supporting program. Once you have a FT program on the laptop then import a GED (say from your USB stick) and open in your FT program. Thereafter save at least one GED to your laptop Downloads or other folder of choice. Once you have a program IE recognises as an 'associated' file, it should offer to open or save any future downloaded GED files.