1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry app

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by jpkc, Mar 5, 2022.

1. jpkc

jpkc LostCousins Star

The article about Ancestry adding photo-scanning to their app sounds very exciting so I downloaded the app and logged in but could not find any reference to photo-scanning.
    May be that I have an Android phone, not an Apple?
    Any other members tried this?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Works on my Samsung. You need to go to your family tree and click the images icon at the top right, then the + symbol at the bottom right.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

The information on the blog says 'The new features are now available on both our web browser and mobile app platforms. '
    Does web browser mean Ancestry on a computer or laptop, if so, does any one know how to access it?
    I can't see how to access any photo enhancing or find anything in the support centre.

4. peter

I'm not sure how you're supposed to take photos with a computer - even if it has a built-in camera the quality is unlikely to be adequate.

5. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

You are not.
    When I said photo enhancing, I was meaning the photo enhancing and colourising that they say is available.
    I did not mean the scanning of photos that is available on the app, sorry I did not make that clear.

6. jpkc

jpkc LostCousins Star

Thank you Peter, I have found it now.

7. MaryT

MaryT LostCousins Member

I emailed Ancestry about the enhancing. THeir first reply told me where to find the tools, but when the commands they said should be there weren't, they said, "With regards this matter, this feature is currently in the testing phase and only available on the IOS app to a few members. " And gave me a link to their feedback page.

Not quite what their blog said! Nor did they mention why it's not available on my laptop either, but presumably the same reason!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. I'm no expert but the way I see it, Google does the same job. I would imagine that by now, anybody who wants to add photos to their Ancestry tree would have their own method(s) of doing so.

Call me cynical but isn't this just another way of enhancing the use of Ancestry. I'd rather see their energy put into what we pay them for, Research!
    Some of the latest changes are just nuisance value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. peter

People had ways of lighting fires before matches were invented, and ways of researching their family trees before computers and the Internet came along. But if new ways of doing things deliver significant advantages - aa this one clearly does - they eventually take over.
    Maybe that's because you already have someone from the younger generations who is going to continue your research one day. However, a lot of family historians don't have anyone to pass their research on to, so enhancements that make Ancestry - and family history in general - more attractive to young people are important.

10. LynneWK

LynneWK Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Does anyone know if by using this app all your downloaded photo's will be made public by Ancestry on their website?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2022
  11. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The photos will be added into whichever tree you choose (you have to select a tree in the app before scanning or taking a photo). If it's a public tree then the photos will be public, if it's a private tree, they won't.

It does offer an easy way of getting photos into your tree. However, I tried scanning a newspaper clipping with 3 columns and a photo and it divided it up in a very strange way! I had to delete it and just take a photo of the clipping which worked fine.