1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

An Address in strange handwriting

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by jorghes, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher where this address is meant to have been. I can easily read the "6 South Street" part, but not the place directly below, which presumably is the area in which the address was located.

[​IMG]

As a bit of context (and it may help for discoveries) - this is from an 1850 marriage certificate. The marriage took place in a Synagogue in London (for more clarification - as I can't quite read this either, here it is - I believe the bottom line is "Church Row, Fenchurch Street"):

[​IMG]

The bride and groom were both Jewish, and 6 South Street is the bride's address. The groom's is 7 Dudley St, St Giles.

I'm particularly interested in the bride, as I have not been able to definitively find her in the 1841 census. I have found her in the 1851 census with her husband, but by the time the 1861 census rolled around, her and her husband had emigrated to Australia. Since I haven't been able to find her in the 1841 census, I am unsure about her parents, or where she was born.

According to the marriage register entry, she is 25 (listed as 26 on the 1851 census) and was born in Brighton. I particularly would like to know if her address could be in Brighton.

2. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

Finsbury

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Thank you! Now to see if that helps.

I'll cross my fingers.

Just discovered that the Synagogue was Hambro Synagogue, a rival offshoot of the Great Synagogue in London.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018