1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Amount left in a Will.

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Stephen49., Nov 23, 2023.

1. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

Dear members,

I have often seen in a persons Will the words "Not exceeding £25000", for example.
    I would be grateful if anyone could explain what this means.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stephen Sherlock

2. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

The taxes on estates were at times charged at different rates for different sizes of estate. One example is the Customs and Inland Revenue Act, 1881 which had thresholds at £100, £500, and £1,000. So a declaration had to be made of the band the estate's value fell within, hence "not exceeding £500". I'm sure those thresholds were varied, but I don't know how or when or what other laws might also have applied only over a certain limit.

3. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

Stuart, many thanks for your explanation. I fully understand the meaning now.