1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

Adding additional families

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Maly, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Maly

Maly LostCousins Superstar

My tree has in excess of 21,000 people. I am currently going through an exercise which has taken most of this year to identify who else I should include as a lost cousin. I already have several hundred people listed.

Are there any short cuts I am missing?

2. Tim

Tim Moderator Staff Member

Have you used FTAnalyzer? It will list everyone that you can add, and also add them. You then just need to check them once they're loaded.
    The program was written by a Forum Member, Alexander.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I saw this new discussion just before I went to bed after watching the NZvWal rugby. Overnight (in NZ) I see that Tim has suggested FTAnalyser which I think is brilliant. However, you are now indicated as a LC Superstar after just a few hours so you must have done something right since your first post. Congratulations, you have already jumped ahead of most of the crowd and achieved a high match potential. It looks like Red Dragon should have some very good news for everybody at the end of the week. I hope that you get lots of matches from all your hard work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maly

Hi Bryman

I've have been studying my tree for many years, back then I realised that I needed a way of working out what I knew or needed to find out about each individual in the tree. So I created a spreadsheet which I still use, It has a row of entry for birth, baptism, marriage (one line for each extra marriage) and a row for death I also record where the events took place, who their parents were. Also fields for each census year from 1831 (there is the odd one) through to 1921 and the 1939 Register I note those which fit with Lost Cousins, those listed and those I need to enter (which was the reason for starting this exercise) and details of any will.

5. Maly

Thanks I had seen this before but never used it my mistake! Currently within my spreadsheet looking for folk in censuses I had previously missed so hopefully it will all come together.

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Star

This thread has got me thinking about the different ways we research our family trees, and how that impacts on the number of people we enter at Lost Cousins.

Having started my research back in pre-internet times, I have always focused primarily on taking my direct line backwards rather than spreading out very far sideways. I guess this was largely because of the time it could take (and the distance I might need to travel) to find, say, just one marriage or one census entry. Consequently, I spent most of my limited time and money researching my direct line, and my tree reflects that.

I do now, whenever possible, try to follow lines forward in the hope of finding descendants in a relevant census, so that I can add them in at Lost Cousins, but I still tend to focus most of my time on my ancestors and their immediate families.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Entering relatives on your My Ancestors is simply another way of researching in your direct line - because the cousins you find will be researching the ancestral lines that you share.

8. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Star

Yes, that’s why I do take lines forward, as and when I get some spare time, hoping that I will make connections via Lost Cousins.

But the point I was trying to make is that because the focus of my research is to go directly back in my ancestry rather than sideways, I’m never going to have vast numbers of people in my tree, nor a ready supply of census entries to enter at Lost Cousins.

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Your ultimate objective is precisely the same as mine - I just think that my way of going about it is more likely to succeed.

It's doubly important to find documented cousins now that DNA is the main way to knock down 'brick walls'; it's also the main (often the only) way we can verify our records-based research. But whether you're using DNA or not, go back 7 generations and there are 128 ancestral lines to follow - quite a challenge. The good news is that on average there are 200 LostCousins members who share at least one or, more likely, two of those lines.

However, it's not just about sharing the workload: when you find a 'lost cousin' you're also going to benefit from the research they've done in the past, from any connections they've made in the past, and from any records or stories that have been passed down in their family.

10. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Star

I guess it’s just a different way of going about things, and it depends on what your objectives are. Despite focusing primarily on my direct line I’ve connected with lots of cousins over the years, done plenty of collaborating, been given copies of things like old photos and family bibles (very little having survived in my family), while at the same time enjoyed the challenge of investigating my early ancestry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tim

Tim Moderator Staff Member

There is an excellent colour report in FTAnalyzer that shows you missing censuses.

12. Maly

Hi Tim

Have had a look at that. I also like the fact that I can see where there are missing birth & death locations.

• Agree Agree x 1