1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Adding a profile photo to an ancestor's page in New Ancestry

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I used to say I could manoeuvre around Ancestry with my eyes shut having used it for so long, but that is no longer true in NEW Ancestry as I found out when I wanted to add a new profile photo to an ancestors page. I couldn't for the life of me see how to do it. Yes I could load umpteen photos & images via the Gallery but how to make one of these the Primary Photo ( or change a Primary Photo for another) just eluded me.

What used to work with a few 'clicks' is no longer available as Ancestry in its infinite (lack of) wisdom decided make things difficult -and they succeeded. However, not to be denied I came across the Blog of a lady who calls herself the 'The Enthusiastic Genealogist'(Dana Leeds) and found her article 'How to set a Primary Photo on the NEW Ancestry'. There bless her heart was the answer. As she says "I don't think it is intuitive (or I would have figured it out!), so I'm sharing the steps"

Rather than type out word for word (and possibly infringe copyright) I am providing a link to her Blog page for you to read how to go about it. So here it is : TEG

If you also have been trying and failed to add or change a Profile photo you will appreciate this link as I did. (And reading the numerous responses she received so did many others).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

As a quick follow up to the above. If you are in the process of adding a new photo to the Gallery with the sole intent of it being the main Profile photo, the page on which the image opens IS the option page. So you can click the down arrow and select : "Use as Profile image".

(Note it will also be placed in the Gallery but there is a removal option which allow you to Remove from Gallery as well as Remove from Tree).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2