1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A rare name

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Liberty, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I just came across a name in my tree that seems to be limited to this one family. It doesn't particularly strike one as odd - the name is Burred. However, one of my relative s married Edward Juniper Burred in Norfolk in 1880, and as far as I can see the only other instances are his immediate family. My relative had a slightly premarital son, registed as both Burred Edward Fulcher and Burred Edward Burred, though he usually went by Edward Burred.
    I could guess that it was originally a mis-reading/variant of the more common Burrell, but it seems to have sprung to life in the early 19th century, when William and Jane were having babies christened. Familysearch offers a few Burreds in Stepney in the 17th century, but otherwise there is a blank. It seems the rarest name on my tree although looking fairly unremarkable.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Possibly BIRD?

3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Burred or just a bit sharp edged?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Possibly. However, the name appears a bit late, and the family seems a bit well-educated to spell it 'wrong'. I think the word 'bird' has been around since Saxon times so it's not likely to trip anyone up.
    I don't even know if it was said with one syllable or two.
    Possibly there had been some morphing from Barrett to Burrett to Burred.
    The family seems to have adopted it, and then it disappeared.