1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

4th August 2014

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Carla, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I just thought I would share a few pictures from Monday. My husband and I went to Bovington Tank Museum where a special commemoration of the start of WW1 for Britain took place. I had earmarked this event months ago, and managed to get the day off work. It was beautifully sunny, and although we had been there a few weeks previous for the 'Tank Fest' it was now all very different. There was a talk called 'Tommy in the Trenches' which I found interesting, but considering the amount of reading and research I have been doing recently, there was little new information for me. We walked around the 'War Horse' exhibition and once again I found it brought tears to my eyes. The main display of the day was a re-enactment of the taking of the German trenches by British soldiers. It did cause much amusement as there about 30 British soldiers, and only 2 German soldiers, but we all clapped as they charged over the wall and captured the trench. Seven replica WW1 planes simulated an air battle above our heads which was amazing, and a display of cavalry soldiers training wowed the spectators. The most poignant part of the day was the short commemorative service, the one minute silence and the bugle call of the Last Post. I sniffed my way through that, as did many. As the bugle played it's final notes an explosion of poppies burst into the air. "We will remember"......and I most definitely will remember.
    WW1 reinactment society.jpg attention soldiers on parade.jpg cavalry horsemen.jpg Cavalry melon practice.jpg Cavalry practice.jpg war horse.jpg One million poppies.JPG one minute silence 4.8.14.jpg WW1 poppy parade.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And such a moving tribute at the Tower of London, also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thankyou for sharing Carla