1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1911 census and transcription errors

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Pauline, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have recently made a match via an entry from the 1911 census, and at the same time was advised that the details for one member of the household needed checking.

This was a family I entered some time ago, and following the advice given - "for this census take the data from the handwritten census if the transcription is wrong" - I entered the forenames of this person as "Ena Grace". The transcription at both Findmypast and Ancestry has her as "Eva Grace".

It is quite difficult to tell from the image whether the original says Eva or Ena, but on balance I would say Ena. However, I also happen to know from her birth and marriage records that she was Ena, and I guess that could influence my interpretation of the handwriting.

My instinct is to leave the entry as I entered it - "Ena Grace" - but am I doing the right thing?

Also, one of the children in this household is omitted from the match. Does that mean the other person hasn't entered that person?

2. Ian

Ian Member

My instinct is that the marriage document more accurate as she was present and signed it. Have you an image of the original with her signature?

Quick thought, what's her surname as I have a very similar forename somewhere.

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

In my book, yes absolutely Pauline. I have similar occurrences where my own information is based on substantive support elsewhere. Mind I do leave a note explaining things, and that should be quite sufficient.

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I would agree with your instinct. We researchers have the advantage over the transcribers in that we know more about the subjects and what we are looking to match.

In order to avoid missing a match with another LC member, I would suggest that both Ancestry and FMP should be informed so that they can agree with your interpretation and update their records for the benefit of future searches.

Probably, and I have found a few such instances which I find frustrating, especially when the other member does not reply to a contact request. At least having obtained some other matches, you should be able to tactfully enquire of the other LC member if/when you do get connected. Good luck.

5. Pauline

So far I have only found details of her birth and marriage in the GRO indexes, so I haven't seen her original signature.

The 1911 census form was filled out and signed by her father, and I guess he knew what her name was!

BUT - regardless of what we know about a person, when entering them at Lost Cousins, we have to enter what the census says. I think the original entry has Ena Grace but others may beg to differ.

Her surname was Solman.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. Pauline

Thanks Bob & Bryman. I have now confirmed her as Ena Grace.

I will also notify both Ancestry and FMP of the amendment which, because her name in the original wasn't wholly clear, I haven't so far done.